Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/01/2016 5:20 pm  #1

Hard Disk Storage Requirements for Expedition

Howdy --

This might be difficult question to answer in general, but I'm wondering just how much "hard drive" capacity is typically required to run Expedition while taking advantage of most of the features.  

I bought a Dell semi-ruggedized laptop as the primary computer with a used Toughbook as a backup.  I was attracted to the Dell because it had a solid-state drive and I have recently had or seen way too many conventional hard-disk crashes on lapatops.... seemed like a solid-state hard-drive would make the system much more robust.

However, this SSD has a capacity of 225 GB.  Back in the day that would have been huge.... but with MS bloat-ware storage gets used up pretty fast.  After loading Expedition and some other minor apps I have 181 GB left. I would likely want to load some charts, perioidically loading GRIB files, and using the strip chart recorder.  So, is that a reasonable amount of storage for Expedition?   I will I need to trade this laptop in for something with more storage?

How much storage does the strip chart recorder take for a single-channel say wind speed, sampled every 5 seconds and recorded for 12 hours, as an example?

Any data on storage requirements would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Mark

5/02/2016 10:15 am  #2

Re: Hard Disk Storage Requirements for Expedition

The stripcharts work on the log file.
With a 1Hz logging frequency (default and Exp logs all data) a day of sailing is about 20Mb of data.
IMHO your PC has plenty of storage to keep many days of log data and use all functionality.

5/23/2016 3:26 am  #3

Re: Hard Disk Storage Requirements for Expedition

I'm considering an HP Pavillion tablet with 30 gig usable on the HD and a 64 micro sb card. Will this work for Expedition with C Maps? Main concern: winning N2B😎

Board footera