Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/13/2022 10:25 pm  #1

Intermediate start buoys

I’m on a race with a very long start line where they placed multiple extra buoys to indicate the start line. We rarely can reach each end but we store them by gps. It would be helpful to be able to store these and maybe see how much they differ from the gps line. I know I can look at the distance to line but it’s gonna help to mark them on the map and treat them as ‘real’ buoys so at least a part of the line is sure, but I don’t lose the gps endpoint.

Another thing would be great to say ‘start is at 9am but don’t switch to start display till 8:40. That way we can store the start time an hour before when the RC gives time but still have map and don’t have to touch anything before the start.

7/13/2022 10:46 pm  #2

Re: Intermediate start buoys

The way I would approach the startling is to use "ping mark" 
It will put a mark (not part of the course) and show it always. 
I would then draw dividers between P and S, then you will quickly see the marks ahead, behind and on the line, and you maintain the ends, Distance to line etc.

7/13/2022 11:32 pm  #3

If I understand your start line setup properly, set all marks to 'Always draw' and then right mouse click on the ones that you want as line ends.

You can draw the start line on the chart: Settings>Display and check 'Start line'.

In Settings>Racing/start - deselect 'Switch to start display when set timer'

:::Campbell Field::::::www.fieldyachting.com:::

7/16/2022 6:48 am  #4

Maybe I don’t explain myself well.

We got the end coordinates on gps. They are the red and green on the drawing here

https://www.autodraw.com/share/8K62K5H81TE1

The line is very long so it would take an hour to drive to both ends. We ho to port end and store it, finding it a few meters off. However as we start to go along the line we find the first yellow mark, the. The second. They are not on the gps line. It seems the stbdend is a few hundred meters off. But short of driving there we cannot know for sure, and we want to start at port so we don’t want to. I could store the second yellow mark as stbd start mark, but then if there is a sudden change and we want to go to another part of the line we don’t see the ‘original’ end.

So if I could add the intermediate marks as part of the start line, or use it to ‘adjust’ the other end, it would be great.

7/17/2022 2:59 pm  #5

I would ping the yellow marks you can and draw a transit with the deviders from the good end of the line. I would use that to adjust the line as whole by hand.

Board footera