Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/09/2021 3:58 am  #1

Options to connect tablet/laptop to B&G with H5000 Hydra

Hi guys,
I'm currently trying to plan out an Expedition installation on our yacht and was hoping for some clarification on the options. I'm sure this has been talked about many times but I just wanted to check my understanding as I have no real idea about any of this.

Our current system:
- H5000 Hydra
- 3 x Zeus3 S Plotters

From what I understand theres 4 options to integrate a laptop with this current system;
1) NGT-1 -> NMEA 2000 Backbone
2) NGT-1 -> NGW-1 -> H5000 NMEA 0183 (H-Link)
3) Ethernet -> H5000 Websocket
4) Ethernet -> Zeus

From what I can see option 1) would theoretically provide less latency and I would retain instrument information if the H5000 failed.

What are the differences between options 2 and 3? I presume theres some additional functionality to be gained by hooking up to one of these and the NMEA backbone.

I was also wondering if there was any way to achieve the following;
- Waypoint sharing between Zeus and Expedition.
- Autopilot control from Expedition.

Thanks in advance, please correct me on any of this stuff if I'm way off.
Kieran

2/09/2021 11:32 am  #2

Re: Options to connect tablet/laptop to B&G with H5000 Hydra

The most simple solution is to use the H5000 Websocket.

Yes, that is exactly the reasoning behind using an NGT-1.

Generally, I recommend using an Actisense NGT-1 also for AIS and GPS data with any instrument system. It just reduces any latency, loss of precision etc, In this case, you want to tell Exp to not receive GPS data from the H5000 and only receive GPS and AIS data from the NGT-1.

You can send waypoints over NMEA 2000 and Expedition can tell the H5000 to use it as the navigation source, but none of it is ideal I think.

Board footera