Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/10/2020 2:09 pm  #1

IBM GRAF Weather Integration

Work with IBM to create a path to retrieve weather files from IBM GRAF, which is a new high res global weather model with hourly updates, 5 min time slicing, and 2km resolution.

I know what you are thinking.  The file sizes would be enormous.  But I'm not thinking of this as a general purpose weather model.  I'm thinking of looking in great detail at a small area to find the best path through an approaching storm.  Or, looking for granular data on squalls to ride across the Intertropical Convergence Zone.

GRAF may also be useful as a macro weather model using less granular data, but that's already available from GFS and the European models.  That's not really new or exciting.  But GRAF's (claimed) ability to drill in on local weather events could be a game changer.

3/21/2020 9:51 am  #2

Re: IBM GRAF Weather Integration

i've never seen any public source for GRAF - their publicity talks a lot about democratizing weather.., but they don't actually seem to be doing it - yet at least.

Board footera