Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/08/2016 7:25 pm  #1

Using Vesper AIS WIFI with Expedition/Ventus

We feed our B&G instrument data to our Vesper AIS unit, which has WIFI built-in.  We pick up that instrument data on our laptop through Vesper's WIFI for Expedition.  Works nicely.

Does anybody know if we can FEED Expedition data back to the Vesper unit on that same connection, and pick up the Expedition data from the Vesper WIFI with our Android display?

I've asked Ventus and Vesper support that question, but no answer so far.

2/09/2016 6:57 am  #2

Re: Using Vesper AIS WIFI with Expedition/Ventus

I think you might be out of luck here. Expedition will allow you to send data over wifi, but I believe it requires a second network connection; it does not use the same connection.

Also, I am not sure that the Vesper will receive data over wifi. While it will broadcast to multiple devices, and will serve as a router between devices, I do not think it has the capability of pulling data from wifi and then rebroadcasting it.

Easiest option would likely be to connect Expedition and the Vesper to the N2K backbone. Then broadcast all of the data over WiFi.

Hopefully, some of the experts here can chime in. You also might want to reach out to Vesper and see what they have to say about the wifi capabilities of the AIS device.

2/09/2016 11:48 am  #3

Thanks for that info.  Still hopeful though.  Awaiting reply from Vesper too.

Thanks again.

2/09/2016 12:18 pm  #4

Dale,
Thanks for posting this topic, very interesting product.  Sorry I didn't see your question come on Ventus support.  In looking at the pdf product  and data sheet for the XD 8000 this should work.  The unit is a router and should work as if you have a separate router. 
Thanks
Joe
Ventus Navigation

2/24/2016 3:30 am  #5

Joe,

Thanks for that info, and thanks for the good response on the Vesper support website.  Looking forward to trying it out on the boat, as soon as things thaw out a bit around here.

Dale

2/24/2016 3:39 am  #6

Joe,
I was momentarily confused -- Vesper/Ventus.  You are with Ventus, not Vesper.
Vesper did reply to my separate inquiry, and assured me that their AIS unit with built-in WIFI should work as the router, taking in the data feed from Expedition and feeding it out to devices running Ventus, at the same time feeding the B&G NMEA data (plus AIS data) wirelessly to the laptop running Expedition.  As you surmised.

Thanks!

2/25/2016 11:25 am  #7

Dale McIvor wrote:

Joe,
I was momentarily confused -- Vesper/Ventus.  You are with Ventus, not Vesper.
Vesper did reply to my separate inquiry, and assured me that their AIS unit with built-in WIFI should work as the router, taking in the data feed from Expedition and feeding it out to devices running Ventus, at the same time feeding the B&G NMEA data (plus AIS data) wirelessly to the laptop running Expedition.  As you surmised.

Thanks!

And now I am confused.

I have Expedition connected to the Vesper, as a data feed. I also have other devices connected to the Vesper (iPhone running Watchmate, etc.)

Are you saying that I can send that data out from Expedition over that same connection, or do I have to create a new connection out from  Expedition? If so, how is that accomplished?

I can't help but feel like I am missing some simple piece that will put this together, but I sure can't seem to identify what it is. I know that I can use the Vesper as a router, but don't quite understand how to get Expedition to feed the data out over the same network connection it is using as a data source.

3/05/2016 7:39 am  #8

WiFi  is a 2 way path, I have not tried the Expedition in/out scenario,  but I do know other functions on my computer can use both in and out features, for instance,  I can remote control my screen with an Ipad( or another compter over the web) ---OUTPUT--- and do web browsing --INPUT.

So any reports from the posters as to how well this works for you?
Thanks.

3/05/2016 8:55 am  #9

As jackever said, Wi-Fi is a two way connection. If you have Expedition connected to that router it will send data as well as receive data. If you are using Ventus you just need to specify the broadcast address of your Vesper router. You do that in Expedition > Instruments > Serial and Network Ports > the network connection you have set up for Ventus.​There is good documentation in the Expedition Help files, and in our most recent User Manual available <here> .

HarryVentus Navigation

Last edited by VentusNavigation (3/05/2016 8:56 am)

Board footera