Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/23/2016 11:33 am  #1

B&G Zeus to Ethernet (Expedition)

I'm sailing on a charter boat in a couple of weeks.  It has a B&G Zeus 2 which has a Simrad Ethernet port.  I have found a Simrad Ethernet to RJ45 female connector at West Marine.  

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/simrad--ethernet-adapter-cable-yellow-5-pin-male-to-rj45-female-2m--14077796

Do I just need one of these cables and short Ethernet (RJ45 cable) to connect from my PC to the Zeus?  Tell me I don't need a hub or router!  I think the Zeus is smart enough to know what it is communicating with.  I then I just set Expedition up to listen for NMEA 2000 on that network port ?

The unit may have wifi which might be an alternative but I have no guarantee of that so I need a backup plan.

3/23/2016 12:43 pm  #2

Re: B&G Zeus to Ethernet (Expedition)

We use that for the 3G/4G radars. However, Exp probably can't use it for anything else and it definitely isn't NMEA 2000. N2K is CAN based and you need something like the NGT-1.

3/28/2016 8:53 am  #3

I have a couple of Zeus 2's as a part of my H5000 system aboard Ninjod. The Z2's have an option to deliver NMEA 0183 over ethernet, the option is buried deep in the menu subsystem of the Z2. Expedition acts as the client and connects ( TCP ) to the configured port.  I currently use this to deliver AIS data to expedition as the H5000 CPU will not relay the AIS data however all NMEA 0183 data is available. You can also set an active waypoint on the Z2 that will be relayed to Expedition in this way. Unfortunately it doesn't work the other way as B&G refuse to accept navigation data may derive from anything other than the Z2. 

Regards

Paul

5/06/2016 9:55 pm  #4

That is interesting. There is an option in the Zeus2 to allow waypoints from the nmea2000 bus. However .. I hav not seen it working either...

5/09/2016 1:54 pm  #5

ninjod wrote:

I have a couple of Zeus 2's as a part of my H5000 system aboard Ninjod. The Z2's have an option to deliver NMEA 0183 over ethernet, the option is buried deep in the menu subsystem of the Z2. Expedition acts as the client and connects ( TCP ) to the configured port.  I currently use this to deliver AIS data to expedition as the H5000 CPU will not relay the AIS data however all NMEA 0183 data is available. You can also set an active waypoint on the Z2 that will be relayed to Expedition in this way. Unfortunately it doesn't work the other way as B&G refuse to accept navigation data may derive from anything other than the Z2. 

Regards

Paul

Paul, 
could you perhaps point to which of the menus it's buried in? Have not found that in the Operating manual. 

UPDATE: because it's in the Installation Manual on page 30...
"NMEA 0183 over Ethernet
The NMEA 0183 data stream is also output over ethernet, which is made available to tablet
devices and PCs, using the WiFi1 wireless adaptor.
The ethernet dialogue provides IP and port data typically required for confi guring the
application on the third party device.

I'd like to minimize the number of wires feeding into my Macbook's USB-C, and if I can feed AIS strings into the ethernet along with the Radar that gets to one Cat 5 (or wifi?) and an Hlink USB to serial. 

Last edited by sheldon.haynie (5/09/2016 1:58 pm)

Semiconductor Development Engineer, Retired Viticulturalist, Occasional sailor
"Lioness" 1962 Hinckley Bermuda 40 Custom Yawl

5/21/2016 11:35 pm  #6

My surface pro is connected to nmea2000 via actisense ngt, connected to hlink via actisense usg2 and connected to ethernet. My zeus2 is connected to nmea2000 and ethernet.

I have tried over nmea2000 and i have tried over ethernet but i have not found any solution for waypoint or routesgoing back and forward.

Another user suggested using remote 0 and remote 1. I presume external channels were meant. If so .. That might get the info displayed (i did not find this on zeus2) but zeus2 would not understand that this is waypoint info...

It is ridiculous that there is no simple way to set a route or waypoint in a system and have another system accept it.

Board footera