Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/10/2016 2:30 am  #1

Satphone Packages

There seems to be a dizzying number of new packages, equipment, and plans for satphone voice and data service.  From an Expedition perspective, what packages offer the best set up for a 50'er to take advantage of the ease of access to NOAA weather data in Expedition?

3/10/2016 1:31 pm  #2

Re: Satphone Packages

Have a look at www.globalmarinenet.com and linkwav.com

​By coincidence, I am doing some work with GMN just now that will address this question

3/10/2016 2:06 pm  #3

Thanks Nick,
I did look at GMN and wonder if with their XGate if once connected, would allow me to go to the Expedition Weather tab click NOAA and go from there rather then messing around with email and separate files.  The ease of Expedition working directly with the NOAA source would be worth more me  than a bargain price.  Tell them to call it the "Expedition Package" and they'll have 200 new customers by June 17th !! 

We're all wired up on the boat and all we need is a package starting May 1st to use Exp  offshore.
Cheers

3/10/2016 2:28 pm  #4

I am not sure about XGate yet, but we have it working with the Optimizer

3/11/2016 2:38 pm  #5

That is a huge step. I believe the Optimizer uses the same GMN gateway servers that are used by OCENS, XGate, Iridium, etc.

Crossing this bridge may well put us more than halfway to getting Expedition working natively with the Iridium Go, which uses the same services.

Kudos, Nick!!

3/22/2016 1:32 am  #6

What other services do you advise?

3/23/2016 4:56 am  #7

Brandon wrote:

What other services do you advise?

All things being equal, and finances not a factor, I like Fleet Broadband. Otherwise, Iridium is the route I prefer.

3/23/2016 2:54 pm  #8

From my perspective, FBB is definitely the preferred product, but:
a) It is fairly expensive - I was going to say "nosebleedingly", but compared to a total cost of program for an offshore yacht "fairly" is a better adjective;
b) At least in Australia cost-effetive access is generally through third party vendors and prepay accounts, which creates the issue of how much to pre-purchase, esp as there are no refunds at the ed.
Cheers

4/18/2016 3:58 am  #9

Ocens is now pushing customers to the 'sidekick' as a replacement for the optimizer router for use w iridium.   Will expedition work with the sidekick/ocens weathernet configuration?   Thx.

4/18/2016 4:01 pm  #10

I don't know anything about Sidekick sorry.

Board footera