Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/06/2016 12:28 pm  #1

GPS location in boat

So the boats due back in the water for this season in the next 2 weeks and I one of the upgrades I have ready to install before then is an upgraded GPS to feed good quality data straight into the laptop, bypassing the B&G.

We have in the past had some issues with signal quality and even dropouts during the last minute pre-start which I would assume is either down to the 20m high carbon sails queuing up around us, or the tactician standing too close to the current antenna on the pushpit... or both?

The new unit gives me an opportunity to try and fix this. I've heard good arguments for the rear rail (or deck), amidships by the center of rotation, and right up in the bow as close to the startline as possible but I've not done any testing.

Given free reign and no other constraints, whats the optimal location for the new unit? does it make much difference?

4/06/2016 4:23 pm  #2

Re: GPS location in boat

The main thing is a clear view of the sky. It is probably good to keep it away from transmitting antennae.

Near the centre of rotation of the boat doesn't confer any real benefits and you will be under masts and sails.

Some boats have it on the deck at the transom, but the problem is you tend to get sails or people on it. 

The default location is probably on the aft rail.

4/07/2016 6:12 am  #3

Re: GPS location in boat

Thanks Nick,

I have in the past used a USB unit at the nav table when moving between boats with decent enough results so I was really just wondering if there was any reason to break with the status quo... looks like there isnt!

Board footera