Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/20/2019 12:32 pm  #1

Recycling fixed start line marks

Midweek beer can race with fixed starting marks and a fixed course.  Want to re-use the starting marks, and use Expedition Start features (Burn time etc) for practice.  We did some separate starting practice on different (i.e. other pinged) start marks beforehand, which meant that the race start marks were no longer current to Expedition.
As I understand it, Start Marks are in a Marks/Start folder, and the race itself is in a separate folder.
What's the simplest way to revive the race start marks?  I pinged them again, but I reckon there is a simpler way.
Cheers

3/20/2019 12:36 pm  #2

Re: Recycling fixed start line marks

You could rename the marks Start folder after the race.

3/20/2019 3:31 pm  #3

Nick, if I have this right, for starting purposes, Expedition sees a single pair of P and S marks in the Start folder in the Mark/Waypoint folders;  have an S and P in the Active course rather than the Start folder simply adds them as marks of the course and not starting marks.  Adding a new start somewhere else displaces the existing P and S marks in the Start folder.
All that being so, moving the fixed S and P marks into the marks folder for that race, and then back into the Start folder when being recycled, would work?
Regards

3/20/2019 7:31 pm  #4

You can use any mark as port and starboard

3/20/2019 9:09 pm  #5

Yeah,got that. To work as start marks in Expedition's start functionality they have to be a pair in the Start Marks folder?

3/20/2019 10:05 pm  #6

No - you can use any two marks as line ends.

For example, right click on any mark and examine the pop-up menu.

3/21/2019 4:50 am  #7

Duncan,
I think it is easier to leave them in the START folder, so they don't get 'lost'.  Any time after you ping them you can right click on them and Edit the name from "S" to "Course 1 S" then when you ping course 2 it wont over write them. When you want to go back to course 1 just go back to the START folder and right click on "Course 1 S" and you can chose "Set as Stbd End"
Once they're renamed they don't go away.

Just another way...
Different ships, different long splices
Cheers

3/21/2019 8:11 pm  #8

Sometimes - well often - my kids accuse me of asking the wrong question.  Maybe in this case the right question is this:  "What makes a start line behave as a start line in Expedition?"  And I conclude there are two requirements:
1.  That the two marks are in the Start folder, and not any other folder;
2.  That Expedition has been told they are start marks, whatever their name, by either a right click or a ping.

How am I doing?

3/21/2019 9:00 pm  #9

Half way there.

The marks you use as start marks can be in any folder. You can tell Exp to use any mark as an end of the line.

The Start marks folder is just a default location Exp puts them in.

3/22/2019 3:25 pm  #10

Bare Pass!
Tks

Board footera