Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/05/2019 12:19 pm  #21

Re: YB Tracking

I agree that email seems to be the best option.
A couple of years ago, I got a 3 month subscription to XGate, and never was able to get it to work (at all).  Just prior to the Pineapple cup (two weeks ago), I did a 3 day trial of XGate and was able to get it to work, so I ordered another 3 month subscription.  I have been able to get it to work, occasionally and then an update or two later and it doesn't work any longer.  No rhyme nor reason..... 
Back to standard email position report option with boat ids and importing positions in through tracker into expedition.
I'm thinking it's the only reliable option for iridiumGo.

2/05/2019 1:58 pm  #22

i don't understand your problems with X-gate - I have used it many times over the years and have never had a problem.
I've used it with both the iridium handset, and with the Go.
my guess is you are doing something wrong in the configuration and settings

2/05/2019 3:47 pm  #23

Unfortunately XGate seems to be one of those things that works well for some people while other people have variable success.

2/06/2019 7:05 am  #24

Hi 7070

We are on the same page.  I do not have a problem, per se, with XGate working, I have a problem with my expectations of it working more like broadband with IridiumGo! and Expedition.  You had previously stated that the best way for position reports with IridiumGo is though email and the text files, and importing them in through the generic boat tracker in Expedition.  I absolutely agree with this statement, but it would be better if they could be brought directly into Expedition, as when on a network connection.  XGate's claims seem to imply that it does, but I have not found support on this topic.

The problem that I do have is that XGate leads you to believe that IridiumGo! will work directly into Expedition for YBTracking, and I have gotten that to work on occasion, but it is not reliable, and I always seem to go back to the email solution of the location reports and importing them in manually to Expedition.  As Nick states people have had varying levels of success.

I have been looking for someone that has been using this set up reliably over time, and most seem to get to a point and just bite the bullet and go to broadband.  The problem stems from my personal expectations of what I would like for it to do.  I was hoping that I would be able to find someone that has been successful that could share their process, and provide the answers if I am in fact doing something wrong or have the improper settings so that I can fix it.  However, I have not been able to find those people or that person.  Might need to give up on hunting this Unicorn...  

With Respect.

jko

Last edited by jko9369 (2/06/2019 7:07 am)

2/06/2019 10:16 am  #25

I agree that it would be more convenient if direct import of tracking were possible with the Go.

But, I think if you are racing, and are serious.., you should look at a broadband connection. There is a material advantage, and the expense isn't that great compared with other expenses of offshore racing. It's even possible to rent (at least in the USA) a fleet broadband unit. I did that a few times on a boat for the Bermuda race, where the owner didn't want to buy it. The boat captain told me installation was simple. I think total expense for a ~3 week rental, including shipping and the data I used was less than US $2K.

The advantage goes beyond just the tracking - which can be significant if the tracking is not delayed. It makes the navigators job much easier, and their work more efficient, meaning they are less tired and will, possibly, make better decisions.

while it it is possible to download graphics over the Go or a handset (i use the saildocs analyses a lot), it's kind of limited. Broadband makes a much wider set of images and data available.

2/06/2019 2:49 pm  #26

US, I concur.  As soon as someone comes up with an effective and cheaper alternative technology to a satphone for data downloads .... let me know.   Having said that, a satphone is becoming de jure in most significant offshore events.

Board footera