Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/05/2018 5:03 pm  #1

Expedition now has weather models!

Available resolutions are 0.1° hourly to 72 hours and 0.03° half-hourly to 36 hours.

Just NZ, Auckland and Sydney are covered to start with, but the areas will be expanded as needed.

The downloads will be added to MyGrib in the next release.

http://www.expeditionmarine.com/egrib.htm

10/07/2018 8:42 pm  #2

Re: Expedition now has weather models!

Exciting that you've provided additional local models for the AUS east coast; I will be using the NSW domain in the upcoming Newcastle-Bass race this weekend.

Just curious, what global or regional models do these particular sub-domains use at the boundaries?

10/07/2018 9:08 pm  #3

These use the GFS (0.25 degree, hourly) as initialisation and boundary conditions.

At present, the Sydney run should be posted about 0415, 1015, 1615 & 215 UTC but I'm still tinkering. You can use the Check time function in my grib to check the validity time - it just downloads a few bytes to get the analysis time.

I will add new Australian areas this week, so feel free to mail requests.

Bigger areas take longer, so the trick is choosing the right domain sizes.

The other question is what fields people want in the grib files. At present we have MSLP, 10m wind and gusts, 2m temperature, rain and total cloud cover. More fields mean bigger grib files.

10/08/2018 8:11 pm  #4

North Queensland and Hamilton Island added.

10/08/2018 8:51 pm  #5

They looks nice for we folks on E Coast Aust.  Like Andy, I will give them a whirl this weekend in N-B.  If I am particularly masochistic in the next couple of weeks I will run them through ModelAccuracy, one of those projects I have yet to spend enough time.
I may be missing something, but what data source are you using?  Or have you added another day job as meteorologist?

10/08/2018 9:27 pm  #6

I have a big computer in the office. The models use the hourly GFS 2.5 data as boundary conditions.

I would be interested in the model accuracy results. So far it seems to compare nicely with the BOM reports.

10/11/2018 9:14 am  #7

i was looking at the Auckland forecast.
What elevation model are you using?
It seems like it could benefit from a higher-res DEM.
running the WRF at 0.03deg is reasonably hi-res, and it might be better if the DEM is too

Last edited by us7070 (10/11/2018 9:28 am)

10/11/2018 1:26 pm  #8

The 0.03 area uses a 2m geo dataset. It seems to give the effects I would expect. Obviously the 0.01 area would show more, but I'm juggling computer resources.

10/19/2018 10:37 am  #9

I've been looking at it and think I need to add more levels near the surface than the defaults.

Have just gone on vacation for a couple of weeks though.

10/20/2018 1:21 pm  #10

i think that will help

Board footera