Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/20/2018 2:39 pm  #1

Boat Position jumping around live and with Auckland sample log file

Hi Guys,

While running v10.8.18 on a new setup for Airlie RW, we could never seem to stop the GPS boat position jumping where either the longitude or latitude appeared to briefly jump and come back.  We blamed our equipment, but when back home and running the Auckland log file you have on your website, we noticed the same thing?

Any ideas?

Here's one of our days with the issue...

and here's the Auckland track run through playback...

Edit: Turns our I can't paste links yet, but you can see the two images here at the URL imgur.com/a/B6cfQpT

Cheers,
Craig.

8/20/2018 2:45 pm  #2

Re: Boat Position jumping around live and with Auckland sample log file

I've also upgraded to v10.8.20 and used the load track on the Auckland sample log file, it shows the same issue, though the pattern is different.

(I updated the above link).

8/20/2018 4:43 pm  #3

The second image is almost certainly an issue with your GPS or the data feed from it. What is the instrument feed to Exp?

The third image is a GPS glitch in the log file. Probably a bad fix form my GPS that day.

8/20/2018 4:55 pm  #4

Had a situation where we had two gps feeds going at the same time gave a weird display jumping around.

Other than that maybe one of the more tech competent can look at your files.
Ernie

8/20/2018 11:07 pm  #5

Thanks Guys,

Nick, I note that the playback versus the load track for the Auckland sample file shows different glitches.  Just thought that may be relevant, but perhaps it's just a timing thing.

The data's coming from a YachtDevices WiFi gateway.

We had a separate Yacht Devices CAN Logger running which doesn't show any issue with the GPS sources.  But the logger only stored data once per second, rather then the ten times a second to match the rapid update GPS signals.

We'll have to do another test to see if we can track down the source.

We thought it might have been be two feeds causing an issue too...but once we saw the Auckland problem, we blamed Expedition. 

8/20/2018 11:24 pm  #6

Are you connecting with their RAW data format or a NMEA 0183 connection?

8/21/2018 12:03 am  #7

Raw Format with Yacht Devices set for Instruments within Expedition.

8/21/2018 2:53 am  #8

I wondered if parts of the data could be missing with a NMEA 0183 feed, but this suggests the problem is more likely to be in the GPS or antenna. Maybe look to see where it jumps to.

Board footera