Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/24/2018 1:53 pm  #1

Predefined and set gribs

For the future (since it I don't expect it in time for PacCup) - but predefined regions.
It would make it easy to for example break down the race into N (3 for example) regions and pull down different detailed and sized gribs covering different time periods.This would be great for those of us pulling gribs down over satellite links.

For example for the PacCup - I would love to break the race into 3rds - at the start I would pull down low res (2 degree) and long update period (6hours) gribs for the finish and midium res (1 degree) and medium update period (4 hours) gibs for the middle third, but high res (1/2 degree) and quick period (minimum time step). Later in the race you can stop download the start or push it down to lower resolution and long update periods.

This can of course be done but it must be done by hand every time you download new gribs (4x a day for GFS) but it would be much easier with the ability to predefine the regions with set attributes that you can adjust as you move from one region to the other.

6/24/2018 3:15 pm  #2

Re: Predefined and set gribs

Saildocs has a useful feature where you can apply a moving forecast.

6/26/2018 6:38 am  #3

Not having to draw the bounding box before every download would be part of what would be nice -- make downloads perfectly repeatable. No fighting to draw the bounding box while the boat is jumping around in the waves...

7/25/2018 11:52 am  #4

I think what you want would be covered by Saildocs grib email subscription and the moving forecast. You can setup before the race starts so there are no worries. Just check your email and its there

7/27/2018 1:55 am  #5

I'm slightly with sparky here, it would be good to have a button which repeated the last download whichever model and selection previously made.

Board footera