Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/14/2018 5:06 am  #1

No wind at Start

I upgraded to 10.8.15.

Now I can't seem to run a route without either getting no wind at start or can't complete.
I tried NOAA GFS and Predict Wind.  With HRRR the model time defaults to a few hours in the future.
But no matter which time I pick I still only get the error URL not found.
When I use the PW Offshore App to grab the gribs and import it works fine.
Race is only 8 hours or so in LIS.  Starting today at 1400 EDT.

7/14/2018 7:26 am  #2

Re: No wind at Start

i had no trouble optimizing a route on LIS w 10.8.15 using GFS from saildocs

I could not download HRRR within Expedition from either saildocs or NOAA

The NOAA download gives you the option to try to load a prior model run - which I often do because a run will show up as the default choice before all the time steps are available

in this case i didn't get any time steps from the default run.., nor did i get any time steps from any of the prior runs. i got the url not found message

with the saildocs HRRR download I also got the same URL error message

I was able to download the HRRR at the NCEP NOMADS grib filter - so it is available...

http://nomads.ncep.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/filter_hrrr_2d.pl

also - with respect to the HRRR model times shown in the download box - those are UTC.., for LIS it's plus 4 hours - even if your PC is set to local time.

what race is it?

Last edited by us7070 (7/14/2018 7:37 am)

7/14/2018 7:36 am  #3

US,
I had a similar problem when getting ready for the BIR.  Try making your WX selection area much bigger than needed...it seems to trim itself on smaller selections putting the start out of the box.
Worked for me,
E

7/14/2018 7:41 am  #4

Ernie - i'm getting the same error no matter what size area i download...

just a few days a go - with a prior version of expedition - i successfully downloaded pretty small HRRR areas. I was using VSat and was watching bandwidth...

not that it matters - but it was off cape cod to gulf of maine

No wind.., but lots of Humpback whales - over 100 actually... they were doing the bubble feeding thing that i had seen on tv

Last edited by us7070 (7/14/2018 7:46 am)

7/17/2018 7:23 pm  #5

I think it was having too small a window when I selected the Gribs.

Thanks for the help.

Board footera