Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/30/2018 12:40 pm  #1

magnetic heading

Ver. 10.8.2

Expedition computes/displays magnetic heading to be the value "heading sensor reading" field 2 from PGN 127250 on N2k network.  According to N2K, magnetic heading should be the sum of "heading sensor reading plus deviation.

Somehow I have configured Expedition incorrectly to disregard the heading sensor deviation parameter.  I have verified that "heading sensor reading" and "deviation" are being transmitted by the heading sensor and are on the network.

I will appreciate if anyone has insight how I can configure computation of magnetic heading correctly, ie to include electronic compass deviation parameter.
Thanks in advance
Marcus

6/30/2018 3:15 pm  #2

Re: magnetic heading

Expedition ignores the variation from any instrument source.

It stores heading internally in magnetic. If the heading value in 127250 is in degrees true, it converts to magnetic first.

I had assumed the magnetic heading was the value to use since that is how we use it form other instrument sources, but on re-reading the documentation, it seems the deviation should be added. 

Will fix that.

6/30/2018 3:33 pm  #3

Thanks Nick for the prompt rely.
Please note that I am not trying to configure Expedition to function in true heading mode.  This issue isn't with variation, it is with deviation.
Thanks
Marcus

6/30/2018 3:38 pm  #4

Yes, I've got that. After looking more closely, it seems the deviation may or may not be included in the magnetic heading field in 127250. 

I just hadn't allowed for the case where it wasn't included. Fixed now for the next update.

7/07/2018 12:42 pm  #5

Hi Nick:
I confirm that magnetic heading is derived properly using N2k data in ver 10.8.4 issued 3 July 2018.

Thank you very much for this professional support Nick!!!!

7/07/2018 12:46 pm  #6

Sorry but I made a mistake previous post identifying Expedition ver no.

The correct ver is 10.8.14.
BR
M

7/07/2018 3:55 pm  #7

Thanks. 

Board footera