Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/16/2015 10:24 pm  #1

How do I post images?

On this forum (courtesy of boardhost) we can only post links to pictures/photos.  So no pictures are actually hosted by the forum server, they need to be located somewhere else.

I'm sure there are a number of ways of doing it but after some trial and error this is how I am doing it.

I upload my picture to photos.google.com or imgur.com and then view it, right click and select Copy image link.

Then within my forum post I click on the image icon and paste my URL into the box.  It works perfectly every time!

I previously tried dropbox but wasnt able to generate a link that worked reliably.

Last edited by Fergal (2/23/2016 4:39 pm)

9/17/2015 6:38 am  #2

Re: How do I post images?

As an alternative, imgur works exceptionally well, and does not require logging in. Upload the image, and links are immediately available on the right side.

9/17/2015 7:40 am  #3

I just tried that - works great - thanks!

9/21/2015 7:58 am  #4

Glad I could help!

7/16/2019 6:19 am  #5

FYI...  IMGUR links do not currently work for Avatars as all IMGUR links are https and the forum only accepts http....

Just FYI...  will check on image posts now and report back...

10/31/2020 2:01 am  #6

In order to include images, this is one very simple solution:
1. Create a document in your google drive account
2. Insert the image in that document, Usually I am using print screen button and Microsoft Paint to crop and edit the image or a snipping tool to capture screen shots.
3. Resize and/or crop the image in the document if you need a smaller image.
3. Copy the image from that document by clicking on it and then by using CTRL+C and then paste it in the post by using CTRL+V.

Example:

I did not tested yet what happens when the image is deleted from the document, but below is an image that I will delete from the document:

Hope it helps.

LATER EDIT: I already deleted the image from google docs document, and is still here. Most probably it is in the versioned google doc, I am not deleting that file on google docs.Most probably than once deleting that file from the trash as as well, the images will not be seen anymore.

Last edited by iurie (10/31/2020 2:08 am)

10/31/2020 7:47 am  #7

Storing images on other servers is a little complicated.., and as noted, the images may not be visible if they are deleted from those other servers

It would be great if images could be uploaded directly, and stored on the forum server, as other forums do. It would be easier.., it would make the forum more useful..,and we wouldn't have the issue of having a thread with missing images.

I realize that this would cost money.., but I doubt it would be that much - this is not a heavily used forum, and mostly for the things we are discussing there would probably be no problem if the size of allowed uploads were capped at  a lower size than some other forums.

I wonder if we couldn't come up with enough money to fund the images just through voluntary donations?

6/02/2022 8:49 am  #8

Hi Fergal 
good to meet - as we discussed i have a number of simple 'How to do its' instructions that are easy to use to make use of the functionality that mere idiots like me need to remberer year to year
let me know and i can post / send them over
ross

Board footera