Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/24/2018 6:25 am  #1

Speeding up maping

I bought a C-Map Max chart covering a large area (the baltic sea in deatil), using it is however very very slow, apart from showing "base data only" is there any other way to speed up the chart rendering?

I've tried using freely avalible ENC charts for the US, they are extremely quick in comparision, however each one cover a very limited area in comparision. In sweden purchasing ENC for even a very limited area is roughly $1500, so I'm not too keen on testing if US ENCs are quick due to the format or the area covered.

So first of all - can I speed up C-map? Second, will ENC always be quicker or are they only quick as long as I only load a very local area?

5/24/2018 10:50 am  #2

Re: Speeding up maping

What sort of C-Map? Max, Max on 4D or 4D?

There isn't much we can do with C-Map - they do all the drawing

5/24/2018 12:50 pm  #3

It’s not 4D, are ENC charts in general faster?

5/24/2018 3:13 pm  #4

In my experience, the speeds aren't much different. Exp does all the rendering for the ENCs on the graphics processor, so that may explain it.

I am a little surprised though. People have normally found the older C-Map MAX charts ok.

5/24/2018 11:44 pm  #5

Zooming from an overview of Sweden down to my local race course using zoom to center takes me over 60 seconds. Using base data only is roughly 40 seconds. Using ENCs feels much faster, but again I've only loaded ENCs for limited areas. My computer is a nearly $4.000 five days old Dell rugged 7212 with Intel Core i7-8560U with 16GB memory to the CPU and 16 GB of RAM, HDD is solid state, Graphics is Intel HD Graphics 620 integrated graphics chip. Could it be the graphics chip? It wasn't optional =( 

6/08/2018 11:52 pm  #6

My graphics card might be the problem - disabeling the graphics driver makes it much faster! I’m getting it replaced - but if you have the same problem, try disabeling the graphics driver ...

Board footera