Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/23/2018 6:28 am  #1

Navigating from the rail

I'm navigating the Block Island race and was wondering if I could tether a tablet to my Toughbook running expedition without using a hotspot with splashtop. The Toughbook is connected to BG H5000 instruments via websocket connection, and we download gribs using Weathernet through our iridium Sat Phone.

5/23/2018 9:03 am  #2

Re: Navigating from the rail

Not sure is I understand your question.
You want to use your tablet (I guess for using Expediton data), but you don't want a hotspot.   Well, somehow you need to get a wifi connection between the tablet and the pc!

I use Connectify Hotspot on my PC that runs Expedition.  Then the tablet connects to it. The tablet rund Ventus Pro to display Exp number or I use Microsoft remote desktop app to take over the screen of the PC.

5/23/2018 9:18 am  #3

can I run connectify on a pc that uses a websocket connection?

5/23/2018 9:30 am  #4

Shouldn't be a problem.
I use an ethernet cable to connect the PC to my NKE instruments.  Still Connectify works perfectly.   Just ensure that Connectify uses a different subnet.
e.g. the PC connects to NKE on the subnet 192.168.0.X   and Connectify use 192.168.150.X

5/23/2018 9:39 am  #5

how much is connectify? lastly, does it work with remote desktop?

5/23/2018 11:19 am  #6

works perfectly with remote desktop.  I use the Microsoft Remote Desktop app on Android.

Seems you can get Connectify for as little as 17,99 Euro for a life time license
https://www.connectify.me/store/?coupon=DEAL70

I bought the life time license a few years back and am still happy with it. Periodically they publish an update and the update process is flawless.

5/23/2018 11:49 am  #7

does it matter if connectify is just putting out fuzz... in other words, I wouldn't be able to actually use the browser. sirry if these questions are stupid, im new to expedition.

5/23/2018 11:59 am  #8

Connectify just creates a Wifi hotspot to which your tablet connects to your PC over an IP connection (TCP or UDP).   You can put whatever data you want over that connection. Being it remote desktop, Ventus Pro etc.    That is completely transparent to connectify.

5/23/2018 3:25 pm  #9

Zee, interesting thread.  I use Splashtop in preference to MS RDP, but it requires an internet handshake when the connection is broken (like battery change).  Does Connectify get around that issue?
Cheers

5/23/2018 10:52 pm  #10

Mind that you install Connectify only on your PC.   Nothing to install on your tablet.
Connectify just creates a Wifi hotspot to which your tablet will connect like it will connect to your wifi router when you are at home.
So the issue you describe with the handshake has likely more to do how Splashtop works and is not releated to Connectify (or any other wifi access you might use).

Board footera