Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/18/2018 10:28 am  #1

Grib vs Reality

Just a thought.
Would it be possible or even desirable  to record actual wind and run an analysis against the grib to see if the grib model is just out of sync, rotated  or completely wrong?

I know you can manually enter corrections but it is hard to know for how long those corrections should be applied.  

3/18/2018 4:50 pm  #2

Re: Grib vs Reality

There is a project called Model Accuracy. A google search should find it.

3/18/2018 6:36 pm  #3

Very Interesting, Thanks

3/19/2018 1:19 pm  #4

Nick wrote:

There is a project called Model Accuracy. A google search should find it.

Any real-world experience in the forums? Looks promising?

3/19/2018 1:50 pm  #5

blur
I have had a bit of a tinker with Model Accuracy - one can get a free trial one year subscription - and I would make two observations:
a) The learning curve is significant;
b) Your instruments have to be telling the truth.  Otherwise you can get a wonderful false sense of precision.

3/19/2018 1:56 pm  #6

DuncanR wrote:

blur
I have had a bit of a tinker with Model Accuracy - one can get a free trial one year subscription - and I would make two observations:
a) The learning curve is significant;
b) Your instruments have to be telling the truth.  Otherwise you can get a wonderful false sense of precision.

Thx. Willing to invest the time if the benefits are there. 

3/19/2018 5:13 pm  #7

FYI,
On my laptop the Stats Report which they reference in the tutorial rendered off screen.  It took me a while to figure that out.  I had to Right Click and use "Move" to get it to display.  I believe this is a function of the resolution settings so you may not have this issue.  On my desktop the Stats Report was visual but just the top was showing.  So if you can't see it that is probably where it is hidden.  Now I need to find some real data to play with this.

5/05/2018 12:30 am  #8

That sounds very interesting. Could someone please post a link, my google search on this was not successful
Thanks

5/05/2018 1:41 am  #9

Board footera