Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/24/2018 12:01 am  #1

H5000 to Expedition via websocket

We are experiencing communication interruption to Expedition via the websocket. Expedition loses the data link and does not reconnect. Trying to refresh the connection from the instrument tab does not work either. I need to restart Expedition and in some cases restart the H5000. Anyone else dealt with this issue? Our websocket does run via a shared ethernet switch.  

4/24/2018 11:42 am  #2

Re: H5000 to Expedition via websocket

Why does it lose the connection? Is it a wiring issue?

​One thing we have added for the next update is to attempt a reconnection after an unexpected loss of the websocket connection. 

​Currently, there is also a reconnect button in Exp. I think it is normally also in the Quick Access Toolbar at the top.

​However, if you are also having to restart H5000, there may be something else going on ...

4/25/2018 7:51 am  #3

I had a similar problem with H5000 websocket connection on a boat recently.

connection was dropped, and sometimes i restarted H5000, sometimes Expedition.., sometimes the laptop...

I was using WiFi to make the websocket connection though

I never figured out what the issue was - my guess was something with the instruments or the WiFi device - but i don't really know.

4/26/2018 12:52 am  #4

GarthFin wrote:

We are experiencing communication interruption to Expedition via the websocket. Expedition loses the data link and does not reconnect. Trying to refresh the connection from the instrument tab does not work either. I need to restart Expedition and in some cases restart the H5000. Anyone else dealt with this issue? Our websocket does run via a shared ethernet switch.  

How are you getting you TCP/IP addresses assigned ? Are they static or via a DHCP server ? If you are using the GoFree DHCP server the thing does not always assign the same address during renegotiation. That has caused me countless issues in the past that like your problem required the restarting of things.

Do you have anything else that uses the same address space on your boat ( e.g. 3g/4g dongle ). All these things seem to use the same address space and chums of mine have found themselves connecting to things they didn't realise they were connected to. Might be worth checking to see if you can access the H5000 CPU web page when you get these disconnects..

4/27/2018 6:03 am  #5

We are seeing this on with Expedition and our H5000 - reconnect works fine. However, it means that Expedition becomes and unreliable data recorder as you have to keep a close eye on it to verify it hasn't lost the network. We are on a wired ethernet connection.

Is there an ETA for the new version with auto-reconnect?

4/27/2018 3:10 pm  #6

ETA unknown sorry.

4/28/2018 3:37 pm  #7

Have expedited it and it is now available.

​By way of explanation, if Exp receives an unexpected disconnect it waits 5 seconds and tries to reconnect.

​So it you have a temporary issue with your Ethernet cable, it should resolve it but if you pull the cable out for 10 seconds, it won't. Exp just tries the once for each disconnect.

​I do wonder why you are getting the disconnects though.

4/30/2018 3:03 am  #8

I suspect ours might be due to the fact that the owner runs Expedition in a VM on a MacBookPro.

I'm going to try to debug it a bit deeper but this fix should help in the meantime.
Thanks!

8/25/2018 4:43 am  #9

Expedition is not logging heel on my boat. The heel data is being generated from a Raymarine compass unit.  I have a new H5000 system which shows heel angle on the B&G displays but Expedition is not logging it.  Expedition is connecting to the H5000 via GoFree wireless.  Does connecting via wireless limit the data I can log?  

8/25/2018 11:37 am  #10

Do you have logging enabled in Exp?

Board footera