Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/23/2018 9:27 am  #1

Sail Racer Display with Ventus

http://www.sailracer.net/inkdisplay/

seems like a good remote display...

is there any reason that one couldn't put the android version of Ventus on this?

3/23/2018 9:56 am  #2

Re: Sail Racer Display with Ventus

This is from the Sail Racer website:

It is an android, isn’t it? So, will I be able to install other apps?
Yes it is an android, but it is not Google play certified. For some reasons Google does not certify non-color screens. So it does not have “Google play store” app, “Google maps” etc. Though, it possible to install apps manually, which have an APK file.

Last edited by us7070 (3/23/2018 9:57 am)

3/23/2018 12:20 pm  #3

That has a lot of potential ...

3/23/2018 12:59 pm  #4

there's more about it on the blog page

http://www.sailracer.net/docs/news/inkdisplay-released/

3/27/2018 10:29 am  #5

us7070

Have you managed to get SailRacer software working with Expedition?  I downloaded it over the weekend and tried to use it in a race on Saturday.  But I couldn't get any data from Expedition to the software running on an iPad.  I think the software itself has some good potential and is a little more polished (in some ways) than Ventus or NMEARemote.  But it counts for nothing if I cant feed it data.  They don't seem to have implemented the Expedition API so we are limited to using an NMEA 0183 forward.  I tried a number of configs but I couldn't see anything.  Have you or anyone else had any success?  Please share your config details if you can.

And yes, this simple eInk device would be great if it is more visible in sunlight.  I currently use VNC to mirror Expedition to my navigators iPad and to the helmsmans station.  It works well for me but is too much for the skipper.  A simpler view with customizable fields will work better.  I've previously used NMEARemote but it is not being developed fast enough for my needs.

Fergal.

4/19/2018 1:49 pm  #6

7070, we have been watching their display with interest for the daylight readability. Without it being Google Play certified there is not a good way for users to get the app installed on it but we might be able to have a Ventus device send data to it via Wi-Fi.
Harry Pattison
​Ventus Navigation

Board footera