Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/12/2018 11:37 am  #1

YellowBrick through SideKick

How to access Yellow Brick Tracking Data from within Expedition when using the Ocens SideKick Firewall.

Update:
I believe I have found to make this work.  For posterity here are my findings in case it helps someone else in the future.

1.  Ocens has a product OcensWeb.  It would be installed on the local PC.  It acts as a web proxy and works with FireFox (by default) to provide general web browsing ability through an Ocens Proxy which will compress/filter "stuff" to minimize bandwidth use.  Once a session is open, I was told that Expediton could then piggy back on the same connection and download the data without leaving Expedition.  $10/month.  This was suggested as the best solution if data is through a sat phone.

2.  It is possible to edit the rule set on the SideKick FW.  I was told the IP/UN/PW are on a sticker on the bottom of the unit.  You would point your browser at it, log in and then add a firewall rule. You need to know the IP of the YB url.    I don't know how often that changes, probably not often.  As if this writing the settings would be:
IP: 178.79.175.12
Port: 80
Protocol: tcp

3.  Sail Docs
Send email to saildocs with request to retrieve data: You would then need to save the file that is sent back and import it into Expediton.  Not quite as easy as a 1 click but you don't need to mess with the FireWall settings,

email:
To: query@saildocs.
Subject:  {ignored so anything for your own reference}
Body:

send http://yb.tl/{race name}-expedition.txt 
send http://yb.tl/{race name}-boatids.txt

The link for the boat ID's would only be necessary once and then if you expect that they changed.

Last edited by unplugged (3/14/2018 1:25 pm)

Board footera