Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/28/2018 1:30 pm  #1

Extend Wind in Time

Running Ver. 10.7.19
A observation as this option is not working how I assumed it would.

I was running a route for Galapagos to Marquesas for a friend.  Route is approx. 18 days.  I was curious how extend wind in time worked so for testing I downloaded a GFS Grib from Saildocs for 10 days.

With "Extend Wind in Time" checked I ran a route and it took me all of the way there.
When looking at the optimal route I expected the Twd and Tws to freeze after the 10 day grib "ran out" and show as a constant number equal to the last entry in the grib.  It does not display as such when viewing the optimal route which is what is prompting this post.  How is Extend Wind supposed to work?

This is probably intentional but it took me a minute or 10 to figure out where my little boat icon went.
When animating the weather either, manually stepping through, or using the Play option, when the grib runs out it loops back to the start.  When viewing the progress of the boat along the optimal route the boat also loops back to the start, so there is no way to view boat position along the optimal route past the last time stamp in the dowloaded grib.  I suppose if the wind is faked (guessed) where you boat might be at that moment may not be very relevant.

2/28/2018 2:08 pm  #2

Re: Extend Wind in Time

The way it should work is to use the last wind field for any times after it. Obviously it won't be the same value as you will be in a different position.

Whether it is a good idea is another matter ...

Last edited by Nick (2/28/2018 2:10 pm)

2/28/2018 2:16 pm  #3

ahhh,  that makes sense now.  Thanks

2/28/2018 2:28 pm  #4

I just tested it, with a one timestep grib, and the behavior you describe - failing to advance in time - happened to me also

you can get it to advance in time by un-loading the grib - then the boat will move along the optimum course by whatever time you have set in weather > settings > Aanimation interval

However, I am pretty sure this behavior is new (how new, I don't know). I believe that in the past, you could use the arrow button to advance the time (and the boat) even with a one-step grib loaded. I know this because in the past I spent some time investigating how exp routed across certain weather patterns, and I wanted to hold the weather constant for the experiment, so i used one-timestep gribs. 

2/28/2018 5:36 pm  #5

The weather animation has always stepped over the times in the grib files.

​I see if you use the x minutes stepping, it cycles back to the beginning. I think that is undesirable, so will change.

Board footera