Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/31/2018 2:28 am  #1

SatPhone stuff

Hello,
I have an IridiumGo which I want to use to be able to download images from MyImage direct from Expedition. I know it's not an Expedition question but any help would be appreciated. 
Cheers
Rod

1/31/2018 11:52 am  #2

Re: SatPhone stuff

Unfortunately, Exp doesn't support Iridium Go. I believe you can use XGate between Exp and Go though.

2/11/2018 10:46 am  #3

Roddo wrote:

Hello,
I have an IridiumGo which I want to use to be able to download images from MyImage direct from Expedition. I know it's not an Expedition question but any help would be appreciated. 
Cheers
Rod

many of the images in MyImage are too big to download over Iridium

saildocs has a feature through which you can send an email request for many of the NOAA "weatherfax" images, and saildocs will send them by return email as an attachment.

the great thing is that these images are compressed - about 1/2 the size as the originals on NOAA website. they are a bit fuzzy, but still useable. you can georeference them in expedition manually

note that this is not the same thing as the saildocs URL request 

Use XGate, or some smilar service, for email over Iridium.

Last edited by us7070 (2/11/2018 10:47 am)

2/11/2018 7:25 pm  #4

I wonder if it would be worth making a Sailmail request feature for MyImage. You might not get the geo-referencing though.

2/12/2018 3:06 pm  #5

i thought about asking you to include the saildocs compressed images for download in exp...

but i think it would mostly make sense if the integration between xgate and expedition can be made to work. otherwise most users that care about saving a few kb will be getting them through xgate email.

users on fleet broadband and vsat don't really care about such small file size differences.

Last edited by us7070 (2/12/2018 3:06 pm)

2/22/2018 11:32 am  #6

Nick wrote:

Unfortunately, Exp doesn't support Iridium Go. I believe you can use XGate between Exp and Go though.

I have used the YB and weather downloading features with a Iridium Go in Exp.   The issue is opening a internet connection on the Go!.   Sailmail and x-gate have a protocol for opening a connection so that is what most people use.  But you can open a internet connection in the Iridium web and mail app as well.   Once the connection is open, and the laptop is on wifi, its just like any other 28K connection.   That said, I found pulling GRIB and weather fax to be quicker in Sailmail, getting YB tracking directly in exp saved a few steps so I mostly used the open internet connection for YB. 

Board footera