Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/18/2017 4:32 pm  #1

ASCAT data display / overlay

Hello all,

Following VOR closely and one of the nice things is that the other forums, race experts, etc. show interesting ways different software is used.  There was a recent discussion on one of them re ASCAT use (using squid I believe), and seemed to show overlaying ASCAT on top of a grib forecast. I can see this as being quite useful.

Is there some way of doing this on Expedition? I see there is an ASCAT download option under weather/My grib/NOAA OPC/ASCAT but it's not documented in help file, and I have not been able to get anything from there.

11/19/2017 11:58 am  #2

Re: ASCAT data display / overlay

I think the NOAA ones might only be for the US and central America.

​We used to download the images noaa during races, but they cover small areas to aren't in MyImage yet.

11/22/2017 5:03 pm  #3

Thanks Nick.

Just closing the loop.  Tinkering about a bit more found that the scatterometer data had to be "turned on" in order to display under weather/settings.  The download from OPC is working well, and seems to cover worldwide 67N to 67S, in swaths. 

3/18/2018 8:25 am  #4

Nick,
I've been looking at ASCAT off the east coast of the US.  Expedition MyGrib-> NOAA OPC->ASCAT appears to be downloading ASCAT METOP A Descending pass.  Yet there are more scatterometer winds for ascending pass as well as ascending and descending from ASCAT METOP B.  I haven't look for the raw data to see how easy it is to get these in grib format.  Any plans to add these additional Scatterometer winds?  Or am I reading the data incorrectly in Expedition and it is already included?  I find the winds over the gulf stream area a valuable tool.

3/18/2018 4:47 pm  #5

Exp can display the scatwind data on top of the model winds. The tooltip should give the time for each wind barb if the time data is in the grib file.

This is the data retrieved by Exp

http://ftp.opc.ncep.noaa.gov/data/ascat_ab/

2/09/2020 4:11 pm  #6

mgh - can you clarify what you mean by 'turned on'? I have tried to download dircectly from OPC and import the ASCAT file as well as using Exp to retrieve, yet I can't seem to be able to view any data ...

2/09/2020 7:57 pm  #7

The ascat data display control is a different item on the weather settings page that (eg) 10m winds. The idea is you might want to display ascat and model data at the same time.

Remember the data can be quite sparse ...

3/19/2020 3:32 pm  #8

Nick wrote:

The tooltip should give the time for each wind barb if the time data is in the grib file.

i am not seeing the time in the tooltip anymore - i am pretty sure i did see it in the past

also, i guess it's kind of trivial, but the term "windscat" is used in the tooltip to identify the ascat winds as scatterometer winds - but WindSat is another operational wind scatterometer satellite, so maybe it's a little too similar. when i first noticed it, i actually checked to be sure that i wasn't seeing the windsat data

3/19/2020 8:45 pm  #9

Thanks - I hadn't noticed the time was missing.

Board footera