Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/15/2017 11:12 am  #1

New boat new navigation system. Is Expedition the answer?

Hi, newbie here. I am setting up a new nav system on a new boat (40' tri) from scratch. I am considering using Expedition as it has a great reputation. We are planning to do mostly mid-length offshore eg Fastnet, RBI and mostly 2 handed so we don't have a dedicated navigator and we don't have lots of time. Would a system based on Expedition be advisable for this type of application? 
many thanks

10/15/2017 1:56 pm  #2

Re: New boat new navigation system. Is Expedition the answer?

Hello,
​We can give you a trial Exp licence if you wish to see if Exp suits you.
Regards,
​Nick

10/16/2017 5:22 am  #3

When you say “Navigation System” you don’t specify what you plan to use it for.

Exp, connected to a set of well calibrated instruments is valuable from beer cans to circumnavigation. (My use is the former)

We use it for calibration checking, data logging and replay, weather/tide evaluation vs courses, calculations beyond H5000, pre starting analysis and prediction. Not actively using it for “routing” as all races recently have been hours not days, and marks have been in sight.

Powerful tool, if you go with it. download Will Oxley’s books for a quicker start.

Semiconductor Development Engineer, Retired Viticulturalist, Occasional sailor
"Lioness" 1962 Hinckley Bermuda 40 Custom Yawl

10/21/2017 11:07 am  #4

Thanks for the replies. Nick that's a great offer I will take you up on it. I have read Will's first book - which I struggled with as I am not experienced enough to fully understand it - but I suspect that it would become much clearer with the software in front of me. Sheldon - thank you - and a good question - I would plan to use it as the primary navigation tool onboard - I am considering using b and g transducers to feed the data into expedition with an output to a separate monitor in the cockpit and some large format instruments possibly mounted on the mast. I don't see the need to run a separate system (on my last boat we only used SeaPro.)

Board footera