Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/01/2017 7:19 am  #1

Number Box Choices

On realising that I was taking a very keen interest in the illustrations in Will's new book to see which variables he displayed in the number boxes I thought it might make for an interesting thread. I'm no great expert and tend to show the three sets of wind (ground, true and apparent), tide, COG, SOG, time and distance to mark on port and starboard, heel and trim, course, heading and leeway together with a few polar measures and next leg wind. Will's screenshots had deltas of Cog and Sog vs Hdg and BSP, no ground wind or tide (though may not have been in a tidal spot) and tack angle, amongst a few others.

What do you favour, and why? 

10/02/2017 5:19 am  #2

Re: Number Box Choices

Depends on what the usage is:

for a 1 hour beer can race on a Wednesday night, we don’t use them much, as screen is below deck, and Ventus pro is used for setting line& race timer. More a logging and replay function for post race analysis, so put up whatever we are concentrating on.

For tuning sessions: TWA, TWS, polar%, Target%, bsp, HDG, Sog, Cog, leeway, ROT, rudder angle, heel, polar heel, trim.

For multi hour “bay race” around YRA/navigation marks: mark, distance & bearing to mark, cog, next leg heading, next leg sail,  next leg AWA, next leg AWS, time to layline, TWD, tide rate & Set.

Last edited by sheldon.haynie (10/02/2017 5:20 am)

Semiconductor Development Engineer, Retired Viticulturalist, Occasional sailor
"Lioness" 1962 Hinckley Bermuda 40 Custom Yawl

Board footera