Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/24/2017 8:08 am  #1

What is the best way to record the time we cross the finish

I would like to have a notice in our log files when we crossed the finish lines when we do ToT racing. 

Is the best way just  to kill the timer, and then we would know as we dont log data anymore?

kind regards
Birger

9/24/2017 6:50 pm  #2

Re: What is the best way to record the time we cross the finish

Birger, maybe I do not understand your question, but I write the finishing time in a notebook (yeah, paper) and then close down Expedition.  Post-processing analysis allows for race beginning and end.
Near as I know, while Expedition is running, a logfile is being added to.  You cannot stop it.  Handling large files (say 3 day race), in post-processing I trim prestart time logfile rows, and post-finishing logfile rows when I combine the 24 hour logfiles into one.  But a 30 mb logfile is perfectly normal for a race of this length.

9/25/2017 2:26 am  #3

You can set a stripchart wand on the track in Exp at the point you crossed the finish.   Then in stripchart you can identify at what time that happened.   If needed you could trim the log file to only show recorded data up until finish time.

9/25/2017 7:09 am  #4

Ok, thanx

I would investigte further a bit what’s the simplest way. I see the start timer runs elapsed time so I hope just killing the timer would solve it.
Thanks for the tips in regards to Wanda though

B

9/26/2017 2:28 am  #5

Use Expeditions Events feature. When you ping the start line ends and the gun goes off Expedition stores these as events. You can hit the events button when crossing the finish line and put a note in it 'FIN'.

:::Campbell Field::::::www.fieldyachting.com:::

10/07/2017 3:56 am  #6

Related question:

​I see the starting event, with distance from line and a percentage (of polar?/target?) automatically generated.
​Is there anyway to similarly  set an event when the course is selected/activated ?
​Since we enter the course a few seconds after starting the race timer, it would be convenient to have it linked in the log file, and on a boat with small crew, while we could try to remember to manually set the event, there's nobody at the nav station.

Also when rounding marks?
​(change to Next mark? or when distance goes below threshold?

Semiconductor Development Engineer, Retired Viticulturalist, Occasional sailor
"Lioness" 1962 Hinckley Bermuda 40 Custom Yawl

10/08/2017 12:15 am  #7

There was a feature request suggested a while back that was a track tooltip. Hover over a recorded track at any point and get all the historic data for that point.

This would give you what you want. Nick added it to the list..

10/10/2017 7:25 am  #8

sheldon.haynie wrote:

Related question:
Also when rounding marks?
(change to Next mark? or when distance goes below threshold?

Sheldon

This capability is already in place.  Expedition writes an event to the log if you have Auto Mark advance active.  It includes the lat/long, time.

It would be great to have other events automatically written.  It would make it much faster to analyze the race after.  Crossing the finish line, maybe activating a course like you suggest, starting a timer.  Optionally I'd like to even see an event written for each tack/gybe, maybe a checkbox for this.

Last edited by Fergal (10/10/2017 7:28 am)

10/10/2017 8:48 pm  #9

Thanks for tip about auto mark advance. Didn’t realize it tagged events. Will have to play with radius setting as our evening marks are somewhat casually located.

Semiconductor Development Engineer, Retired Viticulturalist, Occasional sailor
"Lioness" 1962 Hinckley Bermuda 40 Custom Yawl

Board footera