Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/17/2017 11:24 pm  #11

Re: Comparing 2 tracks and Stripchart

As Nick explained you need to open both log files in Excel.
Edit:  replace the "boat number" from the second log file from "0" to e.g. "1".

Then copy/past the rows of the second log file underneath the rows of the first log file.   Then sort this combined worksheet on the "UTC" column "oldest to newest".   This ensures that the logging rows of the 2 boats are sorted on time (this is very important as Exp needs all rows in the logfile in "oldest to newest" order).
Then save this file as .csv again.   

Now you have a single log file that contains the data of the two boats.  This logfile you can open in stripchart and then you are able for each variable that you want to display to identify if you want it for boat 0 or boat 1 etc.
Now I think about it:  likely if you open this logfile in Exp (on the Tools menu) it will also display the two tracks of both boats? (I cannot try that now as I dont have Exp at hand).

Last edited by ZeeZee (9/17/2017 11:32 pm)

9/18/2017 12:04 am  #12

Zee, thanks for your persistence, and no doubt Nick will wake up in NZ some time ahead, read this and say "Huh?"
I have combined the 2 files.  It is a *.CSV file sorted by time (UTC).
When I load the file in Expedition, I see track of Boat 0, but not Boat 1.  When I load in Stripchart, I see values for Boat 0, but when I change a Stripchart row to show (say) Boat 1 TWS, I get a blank row, no data.
PM me and I'll send you the zipped file (4 mb) if you can do better. 

9/18/2017 1:53 am  #13

At present Exp only displays the boat zero track.
​You can however playback the combined log file or load it into Stripchart (I think) for analysis.

9/18/2017 2:18 am  #14

Nick
I can't get parallel performance elements in Stripchart (e.g. TWS Boat 0 and TWS Boat 1 open on the same Stripchart), and I can't open a second copy of Stripchart, and view in parallel.
So so far the best I can do is open 2 separate logfiles in Expedition, but then I can't get the performance data I need via simultaneous Stripcharts.  I'm open to suggestions within Expedition, the other way I think is do do a big time-based (say 15 minute increments through ROUND function in Excel) Pivots comparing relevant parameters.

9/18/2017 4:09 pm  #15

Maybe send me the two log files and the combined one you made ...

9/18/2017 5:56 pm  #16

Will do.  Note that ZeeZee has bee a willing co-conspirator in all this and deserves much of the credit.  Will send files in sequence and zipped, all separately.

Board footera