Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/14/2017 7:10 pm  #1

A reminder in the ocean

We have races in shipping channels - no big deal there - but as tame navigator on one of the biggest boats I have been asked by the PRO to make a VHF call to shipping control to warn them about our presence when abeam of a geographical feature - which is not a mark or an obstacle on the course, we would typically be 12 miles or so from it when we pass.
How can I set myself a reminder in Expedition, so at a specific latitude I get a pop-up or something?  Is there a way?

9/14/2017 10:35 pm  #2

Re: A reminder in the ocean

I would mark the shipping channel with a race note (NOT to be avoided by optimal routing).
Then configure an alarm in Exp that is triggered when the Time or Distance to race note channel falls below a certain value.
In case your route passes multiple race notes this alarm may also get triggered for those race notes where you don't want it to be triggered, but otherwise it is the best option I can think of.

Another option would be to set an alarm when LON or LAT passes a certain value but this would be harder to configure and not works as well depending on the orientation of the shipping channel in relation to your course. 

9/14/2017 10:58 pm  #3

Thanks Zee, this forum
As the requirement is only to make a call when abeam of a point (i.e. on a latitude) Option 2 looks like the go.  Easy to set up, I'm just not sure how it will work in practice.  I'll keep you posted!
Regards

9/14/2017 11:23 pm  #4

Having said the above, I cannot set it up with a stable latitude; I think it may be defaulting to where the boat "is", as it isn't currently connected to a GPS.  Nick, I probably need your advice as there isn't anything in the Help file.
Cheers

9/15/2017 12:23 am  #5

I just tested option 2 with the simulator and the alarm worked fine for me.
I had my boat sailing west and had the alarm set when LON < 005 00.000e
As soon as the boat passed that mark the alarm sounded and a pop up window appeared.

9/15/2017 12:32 am  #6

I've never actually used simulator, just haven't had the need. I note that the Help menu says it is launched from Apps, but it doesn't appear as a choice here in the office .  And as I wrote earlier, when I enter my preferred latitude (N-S track) in Alarms and press OK, on re-opening the Lat has gone to 33N or so ... I want 33S!  Any idea why that would be?  No GPS position?
Failing anything else, I'll try for real tomorrow.
Cheers

9/15/2017 1:23 am  #7

The simulator is on the Playback ribbon.
But you seem to be right:  when I try to set an alarm on e.g. 33 15.144s this gets reset to 33 00.00n as soon as you close the settings window.

@Nick:  this seems like a bug.

9/15/2017 12:31 pm  #8

Thanks, will fix the input.

Duncan - I can't see anything in the help that refers to the old simulator.

9/15/2017 12:33 pm  #9

Nick
Yeah, figured that out eventually
Is the Alarm feature supposed to be left open if used?

9/15/2017 9:37 pm  #10

You can just configure the alarm and close the window.  The alarms gets triggered as soon as the condition is met.  You can link e.g. a sound file to the alarm to get an audiable warning.

Board footera