Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/05/2017 6:19 am  #1

What to do with no electronics?

I just sailed on a boat where we had a electrical failure. As a contingency plan I got my mobile phone set up as a gps, linked it with the laptop through bluetooth and set that bluetooth port up as a NMEA0183 source. So far, so good. 

However, is there a possibility to fake a wind speed and wind direction? If it was, it would be possible to get most numbers working (including targets, what-ifs etc) and enable you to find your way around the course and survive the day.

Does anyone know how to do this?

The simulate option could possibly cover this, if it was possible to exclude boatspeed and heading from the simulated values. One would instead get the position, course and speed from the mobile phone gps as I intended to do. ...but before making a feature request, I thought I check if there is a workaround.

9/05/2017 12:05 pm  #2

Re: What to do with no electronics?

You might be able to use the Hold wind function on the Start panel.

​We had to do that in a Hamilton Island race one year. Everyone bought Ventus of the way to the start and we taped their iphones to the mast and grinding pedestal.

9/06/2017 12:42 am  #3

Re: What to do with no electronics?

Yes, that works for my purposes. Thanks!

Board footera