Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/28/2017 8:35 pm  #1

Recommended specs?

Ive hunted around and I cant really find any recommended specs.

I am thinking of getting an intel NUC i3. Would this have enough juice running on windows 10 for expedition?

8/28/2017 8:57 pm  #2

Re: Recommended specs?

Recommended specs are similar to the length of a piece of string question.

​Mostly the requirements are driven by the Windows over-head, but more performance definitely helps route optimisation etc.

​People often recommend an i5 and 8GB memory. I haven't used an i3 computer, so will leave it for someone else to comment on that, but I think it should be ok.

​I do recommend the Intel GPUs over the others. Windows support just seems more reliable.

8/30/2017 12:26 pm  #3

I just set up a new instance of Expedition on a Dell Inspiron 7000, with a 15.6" touch screen and an i7 processor. 12GB RAM, 512 GB SSD.   Going well so far.  Nice package for about $900

F.

8/30/2017 2:50 pm  #4

I didnt know Dells were waterproof .... damn, all this money I could have saved

8/31/2017 9:36 am  #5

LOL, fair enough Duncan!  Maybe we're just better at keeping water out of the boat!

The Panasonic Toughbooks would, of course, be a preferred option but the price is prohibitive.  I guess it depends on your boat, and where you sail.  In southern California, we manage to stay dry much of the time!

8/31/2017 6:45 pm  #6

Errr Fergal, sailing a TP52 upwind to Hobart .... one doesnt take ones headtorch, HPX and seaboots off for 3 days, and one bails out the nav station (nested midline under the cockpit floor and between the stringers).  One has to be both short and waterproof.to navigate TPs .... skill is a smaller consideration!
So no, a Dell would not cut the mustard.

Board footera