Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/10/2017 8:42 pm  #1

Difficulties With NAM

Has anyone else experienced the massive difficulties that I am encountering in attempting to obtain NAM grib files? Even when working with the greater bandwidth at my residential internet connection, most of the time my connection times out. And when it does not time out the smallest file takes so long to download that I have no prospects of making it happen when I am underway operating with considerably less bandwidth. 

4/10/2017 9:14 pm  #2

Re: Difficulties With NAM

Yes, the NOAA server seems to be getting worse and isn't at all usable just now.

​You can manually http://nomads.ncep.noaa.gov but it isn't working very well. The model in Exp is the NAM NEST.

4/11/2017 4:44 am  #3

Thanks Nick,
Your reply saved me a ton of misplaced and possibly destructive diagnostics concerning a problem that I do not have.

Hoping for the best before the North American racing gets going into high gear. I guess I was just lucky that the Cuba races came before NOAA messed with things.

4/11/2017 10:27 am  #4

Joe,

I had the same issues trying to use the NAM model over the past week.  In most cases it would crash and close the program.  The other night I was finally able to get it to download a GRIB, but as you note, it was painfully slow, and it was only covering a small area.

It puzzles me how even the GFS from the NOAA server is slow, yet from SailDocs is relatively fast.  I assume SailDocs must pull the information from NOAA and then host it themselves.

I may reach out to a friend at NOAA OPC to see if there is something going on there, or if there is a near term plan for them to upgrade their servers.  Although, I assume Nick has also probably contacted NOAA. 

Last edited by JRG (4/11/2017 10:28 am)

4/11/2017 12:02 pm  #5

Hello,
The problem seems to be in the Nomads server, link above.
​Yes, Saildocs hosts a copy of the data.

4/20/2017 8:33 am  #6

Would be nice if saildocs could host a copy of the NAM model as well.  Bigger file sizes but would come in handy.

7/11/2017 9:06 am  #7

Is there a way to fetch NAM GRIB files from a satellite/email service such as sail docs?

7/11/2017 2:56 pm  #8

I think Great Circle

7/24/2017 3:39 am  #9

Nick wrote:

I think Great Circle

Yes, I obtain NAM via a Squid/GC subscription.

7/28/2017 1:16 pm  #10

Thank you Nick and WG. Squid/Great Circle is working well for me, plus manages the data compression nicely for IridiumGo downloading. For anyone else reading this post, note that you have to open the compressed grib in Squid, which then decompresses it and Expedition can process. I've also become a fan of NDFD modeling--NAM and NDFD are pretty good for Great Lakes racing where the shore interaction is significant and the water is cold. 

Board footera