Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/23/2017 7:01 am  #1

Easier backup / restore mechanism.

Provide a backup check box menu, better documentation, whatever.

I'm often moving Exp config state between laptops.  Its frustrating.  For example, Number Box config did not come over within the Config folder.

Cheers

7/24/2017 5:25 pm  #2

Re: Easier backup / restore mechanism.

Nick

Is what I'm asking for here as simple as an Archive Now capability to a specific folder, then copying that archived data to the new laptop's Exp data folder?

Last edited by WoobaGooba (7/24/2017 5:29 pm)

7/25/2017 12:37 am  #3

It looks as if Exp's state is split between files in the Exp data folder (including the .mdb) and the windows registry.

Maybe something as straightforward as 'backup registry settings to Exp data folder', and a 'restore registry settings from Exp data folder' would work? Maybe with the restriction that it needs to be the same Exp version that does the backup and restore?

I've had the odd case where I've had to reconfigure Exp due to some unexplained registry problem. So, would definitely value this!

Last edited by tsenga (7/25/2017 12:38 am)

7/25/2017 2:51 am  #4

I use a batch file to backup the Exp data folder as well as the registry.  That way I'm always able to restore when needed (or copy to another machine).   Just be sure to run the badge file periodically or at  least after an Exp upgrade.
If you guys find it useful I can post the badge file as an example later today.

7/25/2017 3:03 am  #5

Yes - would definitely be interested!

7/25/2017 3:38 am  #6

ZeeZee wrote:

I use a batch file to backup the Exp data folder as well as the registry.  That way I'm always able to restore when needed (or copy to another machine).   Just be sure to run the badge file periodically or at  least after an Exp upgrade.
If you guys find it useful I can post the badge file as an example later today.

Please and thank you

7/25/2017 11:41 am  #7

Here's an exmple of the batch file content you can use to backup your Exp data folder and the Windows registry key.  When the regedit command executed you need manually confirm "yes" in the Windows dialog box to indicate that changes to the device are allowed (the regedit command does not have a parameter to confirm "yes" by default).
Of course you need to substitute the correct Exp data and data backup path in the example.   I have my exp data and data backup folder located on Google drive.  That way they are always automaticallt synced into the cloud which gives me an extra backup (and version management).

Content of ExpeditionBackup.bat:

del "C:\Users\XYZ\Google Drive\Expedition\Data backup" /s/q
xcopy "C:\Users\XYZ\Google Drive\\Expedition\Data" "C:\Users\XYZ\Google Drive\Expedition\Data backup" /e /y
regedit /E "C:\Users\XYZ\Google Drive\Expedition\Expedition Regedit backup\HKEY_CURRENT_USER-SOFTWARE-Expedition.reg" HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Expedition

7/27/2017 6:16 pm  #8

I was afraid it was not just the Data folder.  Lots of stuff in the Registry as well.

ZeeZee, once you have taken your backup, how do you apply it to duplicate operation on a second machine?

7/28/2017 5:48 am  #9

I would imagine that you do something like:

xcopy "<BACKUP DIRECTORY>" "<SOURCE DIRECTORY>"  /e /y
regedit <REGISTRY BACKUP FILENAME>

where:

<SOURCE DIRECTORY> is the C:\Users\XYZ\Google Drive\\Expedition\Data from below (or whatever you changed it to)
<BACKUP DIRECTORY> is the C:\Users\XYZ\Google Drive\Expedition\Data backup from below (or whatever you changed it to)
<REGISTRY BACKUP FILENAME> is the C:\Users\XYZ\Google Drive\Expedition\Expedition Regedit backup\HKEY_CURRENT_USER-SOFTWARE-Expedition.reg from below (or whatever you changed it to)

7/28/2017 9:26 am  #10

My solution is to use a one drive folder (so a cloud synced, local copy type service) for the exp data folders and periodically export the relevant portions of the registry to it. Then all I need to do is mount the one drive folder, import the reg key and away I go. Though you do need to keep the exp versions in step between machines.

Board footera