Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/28/2017 10:54 am  #21

Re: Remote desktop apps

Duncan,
I don't know how the Toughpad operates as it concerns utilizing Splashtop; whether it functions in a similar manner to the iPad or if it functions as an Android device and, as Campbell advised, it is unable to operate Splashtop in a local mode/closed network (that is, a LAN or non-internet).
Your summary of the concept of Splashtop operation is coherent to the extent that I wish you had written their instructional materials. It would have been easier for me to understand that way when I was trying to learn it.

1/28/2017 11:01 am  #22

DuncanR wrote:

Gents
I suspect our language is not that far apart, but Splashtop doesn't appear to require the internet to work in a boat situation; it only requires that spanning networks.  It does require the boat LAN to be working - assuming the remote device and the host are on the same LAN, as would typically be the case ... I think.Correct me if I'm missing something.
I'm not technical enough to think through the ramifications of having them on different networks in the same boat .... my head hurts.

It does if you are using android.

:::Campbell Field::::::www.fieldyachting.com:::

3/16/2017 6:59 am  #23

Gentlemen,
I'm trying to RDT an Android to a PC/Win10
I've read this thread several times but still having problems.
Getting the msg on Android "can'y connect because the PC can't be found..."

first ?

I have the RDT App on the Android, do I need another App on the PC?

Thanks,
Ernie

3/16/2017 7:30 am  #24

Can you 'see' the PC from your Android device?  In other words:  is there a TCP connection between them?
You can install an appl like "Fing" on your Android to check which devices it can see over the network.
Once this works, setting up RDP should be straight forward, but be aware of the way you need to login as described in one of my previous posts in this thread.

Here is how to do it:
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn473010(v=ws.11).aspx

You don't need to install anything additional in your W10 PC.

Last edited by ZeeZee (3/16/2017 7:59 am)

3/16/2017 10:26 am  #25

ZZ,
Your link provided the answer: i.e.  "Note: You can't use Remote Desktop Connection to connect to computers running Starter, Home Basic, or Home Premium editions of Windows. ", I have "windows Home".

I thought the "System Properties" window looked a bit different; it mentions 'remote access, but NOT 'remote desktop'.

Wonder if it's the same for Ventus Pro?  Or should I check out a MS upgrade??
Any thoughts?
Thanks for the help,
Ernie

3/16/2017 12:32 pm  #26

Ernie,
Using Ventus should not be an issue with Windows Home edition.
However, you need to be sure your Android device has a TCP connection with your PC (to be checked as described, e.g. with Fing).

3/16/2017 1:29 pm  #27

ZZ
Fing installed on android, works fine.  How do I ask it if I have a "TCP' connection with my PC?

Thanks,
Ernie

3/16/2017 11:14 pm  #28

In Fing select the network you are connected to.  Then under that network you should see your PC listed as one of the connected devices.   Your Android device itself will also be listed (with a small 'people' icon behind it), as well as your network router/wifi hotspot (with a small 'flag'  icon behind it).  Possibly you will also see other devices (phones, tablets etc) that are connected.

Anyhow, when you see your PC listed, all should be ready to get Ventus at work!

3/17/2017 11:07 am  #29

Zee Zee,
It works!
I think we should turn this thread into a FAQ and give it to Harry to publish along with the manual which is excellent!

FYI, I'm using a tiny, usb powered, HooToo TripMate Nano Travel Router.  So it can go with the B/U PC and still be all set up at home for planning.

Thank you again!
Ernie M

3/20/2017 7:09 pm  #30

Slight hijack.  Anyone have direct experience running Splashtop w/ Exp PC over a GoFree WiFi-1 based network?  We already have a WiFi-1 installed (Zeus etc), it would be handy to be able to alternate between Splashtop to the Exp PC and the GoFree repeater app w/o having to install and switch between two separate wireless networks.  Actually, our Iridium Go would make three networks.

Board footera