Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/14/2017 8:20 am  #1

Inland ENC Charts

Hi There,

Since version 10.5.12 I note is is possible to load Inland ENC Charts into Expedition
I live in the Netherlands and the Dutch "Rijkswaterstaat" issues high resolution ENC's for inland and coastal water (will provide link in another message as it is not possible to include links in my first post to this forum...)

As said, it is possible to load the charts into Expedition but the problem is that the zooming levels that are possible in Expedition with these charts are very limited and actually not workable.
With the "auto chart" button on it will not zoom out enough and with the "auto chart" button off the zooming level is also not workable.

Is this zooming issue being solved in the coming versions?

Thanks a lot for your help

3/14/2017 8:22 am  #2

Re: Inland ENC Charts

3/14/2017 12:20 pm  #3

I will have a look. The autochart should automatically zoom between available chart levels, whereas with it off, you should be able to zoom to different levels, with limits set by Exp.

Is your problem that Exp limits the under-zooming to 1/8x? That is easily changed.

Looking at it, the issue is that they charts aren't supplied with multiple levels.

Last edited by Nick (3/14/2017 12:30 pm)

3/14/2017 1:17 pm  #4

Mitchell,
I think it has to do with the fact that you may not have a larger scale chart in ENC.
I loaded the charts in the file you added and they are the only ENC charts in my Exp.
They are each quite small maybe a couple Nm or so. 
When I zoom out as far as it will go I can right click/open chart/C-Map (rather than 1R75K8LI) and it jumps to the next available chart on my machine, which shows the entire Middelburg peninsular.  Then I can continue zooming out but in C-Map.

Maybe someone who uses ENC's extensively can chime in
Cheers,
Ernie M

3/14/2017 1:35 pm  #5

Yes, the problem is that it is not possible to zoom out further than 1:16030 (1/8 x 1:2000). 
When "auto chart"is off, it is actually not possible to zoom out any further.
When "auto chart" is on, the max zoom out is the same 1:16030 (1/8 x 1:2000) before going strait to 1:4983310 (1x1:5000000),whilst switching to World Chart instead of the ENC.

Actually, it is possible to proper zoom theses same charts in Open CPN, but it requires a specfic action in CMD by running a  "unit_test_1" in the opencpn folder.

I tried the same with ethe Expedition folder, but this did not make a difference.

Would this be something that could be fixed in Expedition?

Thanks a lot.

3/14/2017 2:36 pm  #6

I have doubled the allowable under-zooming allowed for the next release.

​It doesn't completely solve the issue as the soundings become somewhat cluttered (a function of how they are coded in these ENCs)

3/14/2017 2:55 pm  #7

If the under-zoom level could be doubled , this would great and very "workable".
These charts are uploaded every few weeks or so and are very acurate, which is needed in these sandy and tital waters.

Thanks again for the support.

Mitchell

3/24/2017 8:34 am  #8

Zooming now working nicely with the new version 10.5.10.

Thanks a lot for the support!

Mitch

3/24/2017 12:40 pm  #9

Thank you for the feedback.

​The Dutch ENCs are odd in that they only have the one scale available, which makes it much less efficient.

Board footera