Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/13/2016 8:35 am  #1

Pacific Cup Tracking Practice.

Have figured out how to use yb tracking to import boats (paccup2016), and display tracks from Race Schedules. 

A few questions: 

1. Any idea of where to find  rough polars for Rio 100 & Andrews 70, SC50? 
--> Guessing that I can take a generic ULDB and scale the percentage based on Rating if nothing else? 

2. to set the handicap values, I assume I just ratio the TCF's ? with Lowest as the base boat? 
(https://pacificcup.org/16/2016-entries )
e.g. to compare Cassiopeia to Rio100 I divide 651/271 and get 2.4 for Cassiopeia, and just set Rio100 at 1.00 

3. For start times across multiple days, I assume I can enter a full "July 11, 2016 11:00 AM" and July 15, 2016 11:00 AM for Rio100? as compared to just time? 

4. There are fleet and division ratings/standings, is there an elegant means to handle, or do I need to re-enter all of the data ? (Not a big concern, just curious, there are multiple divisions/races that would be interesting to track, i.e. SHTP, PACCUP on basically same course, and the Vic-Maui as well) 

5. how do I unset a mark/finish time if inadvertently set? 

Last edited by sheldon.haynie (7/13/2016 8:50 am)

Semiconductor Development Engineer, Retired Viticulturalist, Occasional sailor
"Lioness" 1962 Hinckley Bermuda 40 Custom Yawl

7/13/2016 11:19 am  #2

Re: Pacific Cup Tracking Practice.

Bill Lee was kind enough to share some ORR certs for Merlin and Thirsty Tiger and I found the ORR table under US Sailing. 

those lead to these: 

Last edited by sheldon.haynie (7/13/2016 1:16 pm)

Semiconductor Development Engineer, Retired Viticulturalist, Occasional sailor
"Lioness" 1962 Hinckley Bermuda 40 Custom Yawl

2/28/2017 7:29 am  #3

Hi Sheldon

I saw your post that you had been able to import tracking information from YB tracking.  Is there a link that you could share on the forum that would give me instructions on how to do that.  I need to learn how to do this for the upcoming Newport to Cabo, California Coastal Cup and Transpac.  Is it possible to practice with a past race, or do I need to practice real time with an event.

Any help you could provide? or if someone has put together step by step.  That would be greatly appreciated!

Jason Owens

2/28/2017 12:52 pm  #4

Jason,
I can't help you much as I've never had good luck using Tracking in a 'practice' situation.  I used it last year in the Bermuda Race and it worked pretty easily when actually in the race.

You can try tracking an ongoing race (St Pete, FL to Havana).

go to Sail Tab/YB Tracking/enter sph2017 in the Race box/tick Update Boat Id's/Update display time/Archieve/Download

Sail Tab/Boats/should see the boat list/click Auto Color/OK

Then click the Expedition dropdown in the top left of your screen/Scheduler/Tracking/sph2017 in the box/tick Update YB every 15 minutes

Look at Tampa Bay 27-34n  82-41w and you should see some tracking lines start to appear.

After that maybe someone else can chime in and lead you further...
Sorry I can't add more,
Ernie

2/28/2017 1:21 pm  #5

Also:
- Don't forget to enable "race tracking boats" and "race tracking tracks" under Settings-Display.
- After you have imported the boats as described by Ernie, ensure that you mark 1 boat as the reference under Sail-Boats  (normally you would be the reference boat yourself)
- Ensure that the boats you are interested in are checked to plot (Sail-Boats)

2/28/2017 1:56 pm  #6

Thank you both for the help.  I'll give it a try and hope that it works.

2/28/2017 2:51 pm  #7

Jason,
One other thing you might find helpful;
YB has a 'links' page for each of these events i.e. http://yb.tl/links/sph2017
on that page are the .txt files used by Exp and other platforms. At the top is a low-bandwith leaderboard http://yb.tl/leaderboard/sph2017 (also further down by class) that I found very helpful when we were trying to conserve satphone time offshore.
Cheers,
Ernie

2/28/2017 5:20 pm  #8

Jason,
One other thing you might find helpful;
YB has a 'links' page for each of these events i.e. http://yb.tl/links/sph2017
on that page are the .txt files used by Exp and other platforms. At the top is a low-bandwith leaderboard http://yb.tl/leaderboard/sph2017 (also further down by class) that I found very helpful when we were trying to conserve satphone time offshore.
Cheers,
Ernie

5/28/2017 8:36 pm  #9

Hello All
I appreciate the help and the suggestions in getting the YB Racing information into expedition.  I have been very successful in getting the information from YB in when I have a full broadband connection.  I have also been successful getting the text files from saildocs (they come in text format in the body of the return email).
Problem, I cannot get the text files imported into Expedition.  Can someone please tel me if they have been successful with bringing that information in.  I have to do it that way offshore because of the way that iridiumGo works with data.

Any help would be apprecaited.

Jason 

5/28/2017 8:59 pm  #10

To import the YB data manually.
​1. Select Tracking on the sail ribbon.
2. Select Expedition as the format at the top right of the Race tracking window
​3. Click the Import button and select the YB file. The boat id file needs to be in the same folder, but you only need to download this once.
Make sure you select your boat as the reference boat.

​If you have XGate, you should be able to use the YB interface in Exp with Go directly.

Board footera