Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/20/2016 7:21 am  #1

Direct download of currents from Predict Wind in Expedition

Hi,
I'm using a Predict Wind pro account. Therefore I also have access to the PW currents (which are sourced from TideTech). To get them into Expedition I have to start the PW Offshore App separately and work through the menus there until I can finally download the grib file. Would it be possible to implement a download in Expedition directly, as for the wind models? That would be much more comfortable.

11/20/2016 2:05 pm  #2

Re: Direct download of currents from Predict Wind in Expedition

You can now.  In Expedition, just click the TT icon under GRIB File Source/Weather, outline your race area, and download.  However, you have to have a separate TT account, not expensive.
A separate TT account gives you two benefits:
a) Doing as I have described enables GRIBchopping, and TT files are BIG;
b) Access to TT's TideMap https://maps.tidetech.org/, really good tide mapping/display.
Cheers

11/25/2016 9:57 am  #3

Hi Nav,

We also use a predict wind pro account. Is the tidal information the same as in tt or is it less detailed for instance in the Solent or English Channel area?

11/27/2016 4:56 pm  #4

Hmmm, I can't speak directly for Solent etc, but my experience from Australia is that it is completely the same datasets.
Cheers

11/27/2016 5:49 pm  #5

Thank you Duncan,

Just to clarify, were you talking about the download of TT files through expedition or about current gribs through the Predict Wind pro account being the same as the original TT data? (I ask beceause of your earlier reply on this topic)

Thanx

11/27/2016 7:15 pm  #6

I think the answer is that PW on-sells Tidetech data.

​So the obvious solution from Exp is to get them directly from TT.

Last edited by Nick (11/27/2016 7:16 pm)

11/28/2016 1:38 am  #7

https://support.predictwind.com/hc/en-us/articles/205854956-How-to-Download-Current-GRIB-Files

• All current data is sourced from TideTech.org - the world leader in Ocean & Tidal Currents.
  • The large ocean areas are data from the TideTech 'Combined Ocean & Tidal Current' areas. The smaller areas are data from the TideTech 'High Resolution Tidal' areas

2/04/2017 11:30 pm  #8

Wouldn't it be nice to add the possibility to download the current data directly from the PW dialog box, by adding a checkbox for example?

2/11/2017 6:41 am  #9

That's what I mean.
If you have a PW Pro account you don't need an additional TideTech account any more, as the current data is included in PW. But for getting the current GRIB files into Expedition you always have to go through the PW offshore app. Which is far less comfortable than downloading in Expedition directly.

2/11/2017 1:39 pm  #10

Correct.  But the filesize is a bigger issue.  Offshore I DEFINITELY download tide files outside PW, it's way quicker doing separately.
Also, be aware that, due to timing of release cycles, a PW-based TT download (in the morning AEST) will result in the TT file being in a datestamped folder the day before the PW folder datestamp, so you have to do the Weather/Settings/Download thig twice at certain times of the 24 hours.
Cheers

Board footera