Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/21/2017 12:42 pm  #11

Re: Remote desktop apps

Thanks guys, finally gave up yesterday afternoon and installed Splashtop which - touchwood - worked fine in trial.  Today is test under fire.
ZeeZee, I suspect you are onto the problem.  When using MS RDP, is the PC name you specify the Host name, or the Remote name?  And from memory I've tried both about 20 times!

Duncan R

1/22/2017 12:49 am  #12

Duncan,
The PC name is the name of the PC where Exp is installed on.  The user name is is the user name you use when you login to that PC on its own keyboard/screen.

You need to enter this data into the login window of the Microsoft Remote desktop app running on your tablet.

1/24/2017 5:02 am  #13

Thanks for your clarity ZZ, it is a pity Mr MS and his/her elves were not so clear!
We (i.e.me) have -after 3 days of racing - decided that Splashtop is The Way to Go.  As a bonus, one may have windows on both remote and host open.
And now the kicker .. as Splashtop relies on having an internet connection to validate the joining, what happens when internet doesn't work because it is over the horizon?
Cheers

1/24/2017 5:04 am  #14

DuncanR wrote:

Thanks for your clarity ZZ, it is a pity Mr MS and his/her elves were not so clear!
We (i.e.me) have -after 3 days of racing - decided that Splashtop is The Way to Go.  As a bonus, one may have windows on both remote and host open.
And now the kicker .. as Splashtop relies on having an internet connection to validate the joining, what happens when internet doesn't work because it is over the horizon?
Cheers

That is a limitation of splashtop....iirc not on iPad.

:::Campbell Field::::::www.fieldyachting.com:::

1/24/2017 7:06 am  #15

DuncanR wrote:

Cheers

That's also a limitation of e.g. Google Chrome remote desktop:  internet connection is a prerequisite.
What I liked about MS Remote desktop app is that is really works like a touch screen app.  On others (e.g. Chrome remote desktop) you need to move the mouse pointer of the remote PC to the required location and then click etc.

1/24/2017 7:25 am  #16

Hey Duncan / Zee Zee,

I am not sure that I understand your problem correctly and I may be off base here but this may be an answer to your problem using Spashtop when out of contact with the internet.
I always use Splashtop in a "closed network" or "local mode" (that is, never on the internet) using a tiny TP-Link usb-powered router as an access point.
1) Set up the router and put the boat's PC and the tablet on that network.
2) If you are logged in to Splashtop on the internet
3) log out then
4) click the underlined text in the lower right of the screen used to enter your Splashtop account then
5) follow the prompts.  
You may need to set up a local password to access the boat's PC on the local network but you can set the app up to remember it so that you will be quicker to get back in after the link has been broken. 

1/24/2017 7:52 am  #17

I can't comment on Splashtop as I have never used it but your tips can hopefully help Duncan.
My experience is based on Chrome RD and MS RD and although I'm a big Chrome fan, the MS RD app tops it.

1/24/2017 8:09 am  #18

Joe Goulet wrote:

Hey Duncan / Zee Zee,

I am not sure that I understand your problem correctly and I may be off base here but this may be an answer to your problem using Spashtop when out of contact with the internet.
I always use Splashtop in a "closed network" or "local mode" (that is, never on the internet) using a tiny TP-Link usb-powered router as an access point.
1) Set up the router and put the boat's PC and the tablet on that network.
2) If you are logged in to Splashtop on the internet
3) log out then
4) click the underlined text in the lower right of the screen used to enter your Splashtop account then
5) follow the prompts.  
You may need to set up a local password to access the boat's PC on the local network but you can set the app up to remember it so that you will be quicker to get back in after the link has been broken. 

No problem for an iPad, but Andriod splashtop does not allow local mode/closed network.

:::Campbell Field::::::www.fieldyachting.com:::

1/24/2017 9:27 am  #19

Thanks Campbell,
I knew I had to be missing something. Now I am straightened out.

1/27/2017 5:04 pm  #20

Gents
I suspect our language is not that far apart, but Splashtop doesn't appear to require the internet to work in a boat situation; it only requires that spanning networks.  It does require the boat LAN to be working - assuming the remote device and the host are on the same LAN, as would typically be the case ... I think.Correct me if I'm missing something.
I'm not technical enough to think through the ramifications of having them on different networks in the same boat .... my head hurts.

Board footera