Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/19/2017 7:37 am  #1

H5000 WebSocket Support

The latest releases support the H5000 websockets -- my understanding is that this enables any device on the H5000 LAN to connect, either directly or wireless (say using GoFree).  Now the questions:

1.  Is H-Link still required to run Expedition?
2.  If H-Link is still required, how does this benefit an Expedition installation?
3.  Is the websocket interface bi-directional -- ie, can waypoints be sent to the H5000 from Expedition?
4.  Is the data provided via the websocket any different than that provided by H-Link?  The reason for this question is that the position information provided to Expedition via H-Link is at a lower resolution than on the N2K bus.  Fixing this would eliminate the need for a directly wired GPS.

There are many more questions, but this is a start.

1/19/2017 10:09 am  #2

Re: H5000 WebSocket Support

Not to answer my own question, but after trying the new websocket interface on my boat it appears that Expedition works with H-Link disconnected.  I was however unable to transmit waypoints from Expedition to the H5000, nor is the data button enabled on the interface so I don't know the resolution of the data being sent over.  More to come as I have time to play with things.

I would appear that using the web socket and GoFree you could put Expedition on a tablet and run everything without an on-board computer which you have to RDC into.  This would eliminate one moving part and simplify things.

Board footera