Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/22/2016 9:48 am  #1

Course/Routes Mobility

Many of us work with a backup or second machine with Expedition loaded.  Here's a way I put it to use last weekend.

I was called to help the owner move the boat from Annapolis to Eastern Connecticut. If the WX co-operated I wanted to show him the 'short-cut' around Cape May by going between Prissywick and Ephs Shoals.  I would arrive at BWI and we would depart within an hour; so, 'on the boat' prep time would be minimal.

I spent a couple hours at home on the back-up machine laying out a safe path from Deleware Bay around Cape May coming within .3 nm of the beach! I then plugged my trusty Garmin Quatix into the usb slot (a thumbdrive would work just as well). Setting the Route as "Set Active" and still on the Marks Tab I went to the "Export" section and clicked on "GPX" then on the drop down window I clicked on "Yes-Export active course only"  The "Save As" directory drops down and I selected the Drive and named the route with the "Save as type" as .gpx then click "Save"

Now with just the watch (or thumb drive) on the boat, I reversed the process (Marks Tab/Import/GPX/select file/Open...GPX marks imported !  Much less time to do the transfer than to read this!

It never ceases to amaze me how many neat little tricks are wrapped in this Expedition package!

Cheers

10/24/2016 11:48 pm  #2

Re: Course/Routes Mobility

To be able to do all the preps and analysis at home I use a notebook PC that I use at the boat and take with me home.  That way I always have the exact same setup available.
Another need feature (hint...) for Exp would be not to use ProgramData as the folder to store data but to use a user configurable folder.  This way you can use a Google Drive or MS OneDrive synced folder.  By using this folder on both your home as well as you onboard PC you always have the same setup/data available at both locations and OneDrive/Drive also ensure you an revert to previous versions of a file in case that is needed.

10/25/2016 4:57 pm  #3

That is a good idea. Will implement for the next update.

10/26/2016 12:36 am  #4

That's great Nick!
Would even be better if you could get rid of storing settings in the Windows Registry and also store those on the file system (in a separate, user definable folder). This way also those settings can easily be share among a home and boat PC.   
Also, it happened a few times to me that this settings (e.g. position of the number boxes, AIS etc windows, content of the quick access toolbar etc) were 'gone' and I had to reconfig them manually (still don't understand why this happened). When those settings were on the file system it would be easy to copy them back from a backup or revert to previous a file version in case of OneDrive/Drive.  

10/26/2016 10:50 am  #5

You can use regedit to export the registry settings.

10/26/2016 11:17 am  #6

Nick wrote:

You can use regedit to export the registry settings.

That's indeed what I've done now:    I keep a copy of HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Expedition

11/30/2016 11:27 pm  #7

Ernie,
Nick has included the option to set a custom Expedition data folder in 10.5.3.
Now you can have the data stored on a OneDrive/Google drive synced folder.  Works great!

12/01/2016 5:44 am  #8

Thanks ZZ,
Expedition is a continuously amazing product !
Ernie

1/17/2017 12:18 am  #9

I finally tried this marks export/import the other day ..... just great.  I'll never, ever, never sit hunched in the "nav station" i.e. under the grinders, squinting at a 10" screen, trying to plot a track the same as I've done at home.  Sensational!

Board footera