Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/14/2016 1:02 pm  #1

TurnToMark not displaying

Harry (and others)

I'm having trouble displaying the TurntoMark data in Ventus.  I am running Ventus Navigator 2.2 on iOS.  I have created a custom page showing TurnToMark and MarkRange in Ventus.  Also in Expedition I have confirmed the availability of the data - I am displaying the data in a number box. I also have it displaying on the mast on one of our 20/20s.  Also, I have confirmed that TurntoMark is selected in the data to be sent over UDP to Ventus.  But Ventus stubbornly refuses to show anything but "0" on this page.  MarkRange shows correctly and I have been able to add and remove other values without any difficulty.

Please let me know if you have any hints.  I'm wondering if it could be something specific to the version of Ventus Navigator I am running.  According to the iTunes page, TurnToMark is supported in versions 2.2, but maybe there is a glitch.

Fergal.

9/15/2016 4:05 am  #2

Re: TurnToMark not displaying

I just checked it and you are right, there is a bug in it. we'll get it fixed!

Harry

9/16/2016 1:58 pm  #3

OK Fergal, I've been intrigued about TurnToMark, but was a bit unsure about what it is depicting.  If is showing a value like R3 ...what does that actually mean?  I'm sure when I looked the number value didn't seem to be 3 degrees, the obvious interpretation.  But I could be wrong!

9/16/2016 3:55 pm  #4

Duncan

On our boat, the guys are used to calling Turn and Distance to the mark via their Handheld Garmin GPS units.  The bowman has his, the tactician has his, and they shout incessantly at each other.  

Garmin defines Turn as :  

The angle difference(in degrees) between the bearing to your destination and current line of travel. L means turn left. R means turn right.

So R15 means that the mark is 15 degrees off the bow to starboard.  When we reach our tacking angle we know it's time to go.

I now have the same data on the mast for our Helmsman so he can see it with out necessitating all the shouting and discordance.  

So Expedition gives me TurnToMark and MarkRange - I set the up as Alternating values and display them on Remote3. (We have 5 mast Displays)

Now, of course, I want it on Ventus as well.  I set up two Data boxes - TurnToMark and MarkRange.  It will be great having the info right on my wrist.

Right now the TurnToMark is showing 0 even though I have it correct in Expedition, so it sounds like Harry has found the glitch.

Of course, an alternative would be to use the Distance to Layline information - all we really need to know is when to tack.  Someday I'll get my skipper to trust that data instead.

9/16/2016 11:17 pm  #5

Is there a specific reason to use Turn to mark instead of distance (or time) to layline?
I personally use time to layline as this is helpful in knowing when to start preparing for a tack or gibe..

9/17/2016 4:34 am  #6

We have corrected the bug and iTunes should have it reviewed and released for download hopefully today. The bug is only in the Navigator version, the PRO app works correctly.

I personally don't use turn to mark very much, except sometimes in offshore races. For going upwind and downwind I have a page showing Opposite Tack and Mark Bearing and Layline Time.Layline Time lets people know when to set up for tacks and gybes. When Opposite Track and Mark Bearing match, it's time to go.

For buoy racing I add in Mark Time so we know how much time after the last tack or gybe we will have to get set up for the rounding.
Harry

9/17/2016 1:43 pm  #7

Thanks Harry.

ZeeZee.  No specific reason.  More a tradition on our boat because they are more used to the handheld GPS which don't have layline information.  It also helps the skipper in looking for the mark - our marks tend to be very small.  If you get some guidance on where it should be, that helps.

9/18/2016 1:39 am  #8

Thanks Harry, Zee and Fergal, this dialogue is what this site is all about.
In the world of long offshore racing, where the next mark may be 70 miles away, some of the considerations of racing around the cans arn't quite so pressing!

9/19/2016 4:37 pm  #9

The new version of Ventus Navigator is now available for download from iTunes with the bug in Turn to Mark corrected

Harry

Board footera