Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/10/2016 6:22 pm  #1

Error in route optimization

I am getting an error message "unable to sail from mark or start position" when trying to optimize a route.
I now it is something simple to fix but cant remember.
Thanks

6/10/2016 11:14 pm  #2

Re: Error in route optimization

Most like one of the following issues:
- no weather GRIB file loaded with data for the date/time you want to optimize the route for
- No valid Nav polar loaded
- No active route
- Your boat needs to sail over land to reach the first mark of the route.  Uncheck Avoid Vector chart land and/or Avoid c-map land under settings/Opt routing

6/13/2016 11:21 am  #3

Other possibility (most common in my experience) is that you have a race note over the area. If the boat is in a race note, and the race note is set to avoid, there is no way to calculate an optimized route.

Same holds true if the mark is in a race note set to avoid.

6/13/2016 4:31 pm  #4

All the forementioned and make sure the first mark is the green one.
and set the weather to 'now'
E

5/24/2018 2:21 pm  #5

I am persistently getting the same error:-

The weather grib files are current (Predictwind)
The tide / current files are current (Winning Tides, Solent, & Tidetech)
The course is set as active
I have switched off the 'avoid' settings mentioned above.

I am trying to run this shoreside without a current boat position / GPS link - as planning for this weekend's Myth of Malham. Looks like I will have to ask my colleague to bring his copy of Adrena, or I get MaxSea or Adrena for my future use.

5/24/2018 2:43 pm  #6

Exactly what is the error message?

The active mark will be highlighted green or yellow. Without a GPS, you will need marks after the active mark.

Also, which Expedition version? I don't think it is possible to get that message now.

5/25/2018 1:37 am  #7

Hello Nick,
The expedition version is V10.5.18, running on Windows 7.
I am just using the simple chart provided as default within Exp since C-Map/Jeppersen priced themselves out of the market (and I have paid for Navionics charts for iNav on my iPads x 2)
I had already set up a full (active) course from marks in the Solent to Eddystone & back, including passing marks/headland waypoints to port & stbd as appropriate, and I already had the second mark set as 'active'. Shortly after making my post last night I quit Expedition and restarted it.
I set the start time to 'now' and it generated an optimised route. Only after doing this I then set the start time to the actual start (26/5/18 @10:40 local) and also downloaded fresh Predictwind grib files (7 days out not 5 as before), and it has now generated a route using 'Now' and then the actual start time tomorrow!!
I did not change anything else.

So it has sort of resolved itself, but no obvious differences between my many attempts in the last few days and this working attempt. 

I note that Exp has NOT generated an ETA at each of the marks, or to the finish. Hopefully that gets resolved once I am picking up actual position from the boat's instrument feeds - unless there is another setting.

5/25/2018 2:39 am  #8

Hello,
The most likely explanation is that the wind didn't cover your start time.
That is a very old version of Exp. I do recommend you update it. It may require a new key though.
Some of the messages are more descriptive in more recent releases.
Nick

6/11/2018 7:31 pm  #9

So your Navionics Charts work? Great, as yes, CMap sold me 4d on a card, but I told them I have no card,they argued I did and that was it!!  So no Expedition 4d, just the regular one now...and I will try my Navionics charts, yay!!!

6/11/2018 10:49 pm  #10

Exp can't use Navionics.

You can also use the official Canadian ENCs and RNCs north of the border. NOAA ENCs and RNCs are free on the other side.

Board footera