Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/15/2018 3:20 am  #1

MOB Button and Expedition

All
On all my ships we bring Expedition Mark Range and Bearing through to the dials.  In an MOB situation, this implies someone has gone to computer or tablet and pressed the Expedition MOB button, which over-rides course Mark Range and Bearing.  Great, as long as it wasn't ME who went over the side.
Many ships have an MOB button, which is hardwired to the instruments i.e. NOT to Expedition Range Mark and Bearing, but to a B&G MOB setting on another page.  And B&G WTPs are silent on that feature.
So, is it possible to have a hard button on the console (say) trip the Expedition MOB setting, thereby bringing MOB through to Range Mark/Bearing?
Yeah, done SSSC again, thinking about single points of failure.

7/15/2018 4:36 pm  #2

Re: MOB Button and Expedition

I think even if you did figure that out.., it wouldn't be very robust...
probably better to just leave the cockpit button sending MOB to B&G.., and teach the crew to change the display page

7/15/2018 9:46 pm  #3

Don't know about B&G,  but when I trigger the MOB button at my NKE system this will also trigger the MOB function in Expedition.

7/15/2018 10:32 pm  #4

Zee, how?  That means you have a physical button on deck and it sends a message to Expedition?

7/17/2018 3:00 pm  #5

It can be done, though I haven't tried it. If you have a serial bus of some kind, you can run certain pins to switches. These can be programmed in expedition to perform certain tasks like MOB.

Check "Expedition Event" in the help screen.

7/26/2018 10:43 am  #6

The B&G MOB-button is simply connecting two pins in the server (at least H5000). The same button can be used to connect Pin 4 and Pin 8 (Event 1) in a DB9 connector on a serial (or USB to serial). See Expedition Help, search for "Expedition event". Ideally the same button sets of MOB in both/all systems.

8/03/2018 8:40 am  #7

The Ventus PRO apps have a dedicated MOB button that activates the Expedition MOB function. Offshore we have a waterproof phone at each helm station that is hardwired in so it is always charged. As soon as it is tripped the display changes over to the MOB range and bearing screen.

Last edited by VentusNavigation (8/03/2018 9:39 am)

8/03/2018 1:10 pm  #8

All
Thanks for your responses.  Blur, that sounds entirely possible, I will read up on it, however I don't think you want MOB in both systems, as that means giving the troops choices about which buttons to press on the dials to get the right answer.  Do they press Page/Page which gives them Mark Range/Bearing, or something else which they haven't used?
I also like the Ventus idea, except that it is one more thing for me to carry on deck (tablet, HB compass, head torch, PLB etc etc etc) and doesn't help if it is ME over the side.
All good suggestions.

8/03/2018 4:31 pm  #9

Actually if you carry an iPhone, iPod, or Android phone that is in a water proof case is does help if you go over the side. You can trigger the MOB from there, as long as you do it reasonably quickly since you have to still be in Wi-Fi range.

8/04/2018 12:30 am  #10

DuncanR wrote:

All
Thanks for your responses.  Blur, that sounds entirely possible, I will read up on it, however I don't think you want MOB in both systems, as that means giving the troops choices about which buttons to press on the dials to get the right answer.  Do they press Page/Page which gives them Mark Range/Bearing, or something else which they haven't used?
I also like the Ventus idea, except that it is one more thing for me to carry on deck (tablet, HB compass, head torch, PLB etc etc etc) and doesn't help if it is ME over the side.
All good suggestions.

I can really see the benefit of ONE button to engage several redundant systems. Also the H5000 uses dead reckoning while a Zeus3 and/or Expedition sets a fixed position. Together w an AIS MOB device/beacon this will give you the best possible chance to do a proper search.

NOTE: I now have an issue where restarting the PC somehow triggers the H5000 MOB through the USB/serial interface. So need some more work to be bulletproof. 

I love and use Ventus Pro a lot, but know the hassle of keeping iOS devices waterproofed, charged and updated.

Last edited by blur (8/04/2018 1:05 am)

Board footera