Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/19/2018 10:29 pm  #1

Depth variance across short periods

All, I am trying to get a measure of minimum depth in our pen - a new, deeper keel is coming and the obvious question about low tide clearances springs to mind - no puns intended.
So I ran the instruments across time while in the pen, looked at solstice low tide depth, and the average depth under the keel is 0.45 m across the lowest tide 4 minutes; so good so far.  However the variation across the same time is from 0.85m to 0.17m, not so good if true.  A standard deviation of approx 0.3m, so the whole range from utterly safe to firmly parked.
The recording rate is 1 Hz.  Is at Is this variation normal in a depth sounder, or have I something else to think about?  The bottom would be classic slightly silted protected pen bottom.

6/19/2018 11:18 pm  #2

Re: Depth variance across short periods

That sounds noisy. Mud?

One idea would be to measure the depth below the bulb at low tide, then subtract the difference between the lowest astronomical tide (LAT) and the predicted low tide at a nearby location.

Repeat as often as you wish.

6/20/2018 2:48 am  #3

Nick, that occurred to me as an alternative.  I think it must be a mud-or-something-like-it as I don't see the same thing over known firm bottoms, admittedly somewhat deeper.
D

6/22/2018 4:34 am  #4

FFS Duncan!  Just send Hayden down there with a tape measure next time he cleans the bottom...  Record what time it was, then cross reference to the Sydney Ports actual tide data (incorporates atmospheric variation), barometric pressure on the day and crunch the numbers.  You're all of 800 metres from the official tide station so scope for error is limited...

I'm pretty sure you're overthinking this.

Last edited by David (6/22/2018 4:41 am)

6/22/2018 1:27 pm  #5

Is the pen of consistent depth? Could be time to get the lead line out and check it's of uniform depth...

Board footera