Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/05/2018 1:38 am  #1

Expedition Mark Range and Bearing through to B&G H5000 dials

As someone accustomed to WTPs and the like, I find B&G H5000 really odd in the way it wants things done.  I want to put Expedition range mark and bearing on the H5000 dials, replacing (I assume) the existing range mark and bearing which must have been input into B&G.  The Help files refers to "B&G 3000 and 5000 settings" and a B&G 5000 button ... well I can't find it.
So, all, how does one bring Expedition mark range and bearing onto H5000 dials?
Cheers

5/05/2018 4:44 am  #2

Re: Expedition Mark Range and Bearing through to B&G H5000 dials

Well you could have called and asked...

There's a setting someplace in Exp (under Instruments IIRC) that you can switch on to send range and bearing through to B&G - it uses one of those "#OV..." type commands to display the data on the H5000, but if there's a plotter also connected to the H5000 system with a mark range and bearing set in its little brain then it will also send that same command to the H5000 processor and the two data streams will be displayed in parallel on H5000-connected displays, typically alternating - depending on their respective update frequencies.  Now assuming both the plotter and Exp happen to be pointed to the exact same waypoint this isn't an issue, but if not...well things get a bit silly.  Especially when waypoint pass / progression criteria in the two systems are set differently or one gets changed manually and the other don't.

Without having Exp in front of me I think you could also assign these variables to Expedition Alternating channels and then send these to a couple of "External" channels on B&G without overwriting the plotter output.  But then you've got two seperate sets of Range and Bearing data in H5000 and confusion will reign...

An Expedition Alternating function can also be configured to display different data based on point of sail and in pre-start and post start.  It's in the manual.

Net net if you're using Exp for Range and Bearing don't use the plotter ...  then you're short of immediate backup if the PC explodes but you can usually get the plotter working pretty quickly.

Last edited by David (5/05/2018 5:17 am)

5/05/2018 11:53 am  #3

I'm wrestling with the same thing.

Settings in Expedition seems straightforward:

Sending start marks, race timer and remote sentences work great (this how I send mark data now):

But how to config of the H5000 to receive external data for nav? Both "Navigation" and "Sailing navigation" have sensors = OFF, despite having both a Zeuz3, a Vulcan and Expedition on the network. My feeling is that an external unit sending nav data would end up here?

BTW, I don't get the AIS traffic to Expedition either.SparaSpara

Last edited by blur (5/05/2018 11:54 am)

5/05/2018 12:45 pm  #4

Thanks for the input, more clarity please.  I get that I have to blow the plotter away, or at least ensure that it has no waypoints in it, but the B&G side remains unclear - and I won't be back in front of it all til Tuesday.

5/05/2018 2:10 pm  #5

Some of these functions are in Exp in anticipation of H5 updates etc.

The mark range and bearing is supported by the HLink connection. The Websocket/GoFree connection is supposed to support nav functions in the next firmware release. This is a work in progress - I haven't managed to get it to successfully work in the office yet.

AIS is not passed on by H5.

5/05/2018 3:43 pm  #6

Thanks Nick
That solves - temporarily at least - a whole lot of heartache for me.  Let me know when the firmware is out.
Grateful as ever.

DR

5/06/2018 12:28 am  #7

Nick wrote:

Some of these functions are in Exp in anticipation of H5 updates etc.

The mark range and bearing is supported by the HLink connection. The Websocket/GoFree connection is supposed to support nav functions in the next firmware release. This is a work in progress - I haven't managed to get it to successfully work in the office yet.

AIS is not passed on by H5.

Thanks Nick, indeed my example was using HLink, wasn't aware of that functionality difference.  Needless to say it's not documented anywhere visible to me in B&G world...  I've since moved across to a boat that's connected via websocket so I guess I interpret what you write to mean that we can't display NAV data on the H5000 system at all - the boat doesn't have a seperate plotter installed.  That's seriously annoying if it's the case.  Better check.

Last edited by David (5/06/2018 12:31 am)

5/06/2018 12:30 am  #8

blur wrote:

I do, but it comes in via a seperate NMEA interface to the PC.

5/06/2018 12:54 am  #9

David wrote:

blur wrote:

I do, but it comes in via a seperate NMEA interface to the PC.

Haha... i can do that, but that's cheating :-)

I like the idea of just two good systems (Expedition & H5000) agreeing on stuff, instead of the old integration mess. 

5/06/2018 5:14 pm  #10

Depending on your viewpoint, the NMEA AIS data might be a better solution anyway, especially NMEA 0183 as it is the AIS standard. The NMEA 2000 PGNs essentially encapsulate the NMEA 0183 sentence data.

Board footera