Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/25/2018 4:26 am  #1

layline to gate - time to mark stb port

I think i have asked this before, but i still doesn't understand, so please if anyone could assist me
- i create a w/l course with gate
- i ping the gate and move the marks to the actual position in expedition
- then, when sailing downwind, the gate is the active mark, and i have double laylines on the screen, which is ok
- but then i am asked about the split times, and the laylines, BUT FOR STB OR PORT MARK?
          - i have a number in the TmToMrkStb and TmToMrkPort, and the same for distance, but which mark is this referring to? the middle of the gate?
         - how can expedition tell me which mark is the closest?
        - how can expedition give me the split time to each mark?
        - is there a "gate is square at"

any help would be great so that i can answer my tactician the next time ;) 

4/25/2018 12:54 pm  #2

Re: layline to gate - time to mark stb port

The layline times are to the mark. There are also channels to the gate mark.

​There are also times to the point directly on the layline to both marks (Gate spot)

4/26/2018 12:13 am  #3

****I THINK I UNDERSTAND NOW****
after testing a lot

is it so then that the gate in expedition is not two hierarcally equal marks, it is ONE MARK and ONE GATE!
that explains everything to me!
in my head a geat has been two marks, but now, that i split into the bottom mark and the linked gate-mark, it makes sense.

the only thing i do not know now, is what is Gate SPOT time

s

thank you, nick, but i still do not understand.
maybe i do not understand the vocabulary...

first, i have two active marks, right and left gate, so when you say "the laylines are to the mark", i do not understand which mark. right or left?

for the gate channels, i see the following
Gate time *to which gate, right or left?
Gate lay dist on port *to which gate, right or left? and what is the difference between this and the other Layline dist on port (Dt O P)
Gate lay dist on starb
Gate lay time on port
Gate lay time on starb
Gate spot time on port *i do not understand Gate spot time, what is this spot time?
Gate spot time on starb

i am sorry for me insisting, but i do not understand, and this question keeps coming back to me

Last edited by SiljeWith (4/26/2018 12:36 am)

4/26/2018 11:27 am  #4

Yes, you are correct - the gate is handled by having a separate mark and linking it to the main mark.

So we have layline times etc for each.

​The Gate Spot is the point upwind (for a leeward) where you would lay each mark - one on port and one on starboard,

Board footera