Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/26/2018 1:15 am  #1

Connecting Expedition with KND onboard assistant

i would like to connect Expedition with my KND onboard assistant (OA), but i have some questions:
- is it then so that Expedition will send information to KND OA, so that i do not have to log events manually in OA myself? such as Time to Gun for example giving race start? i see Tx in the settings on expedition, so i guess expedition is SENDING parameters? or is it the other way around, so that i am supposed to send information from OA TO expedition.
- and then, how to connect? i am messing it up with the ip addresses? found KND OA in the list on expedition, and tried, but failed.
- set static ip on my laptop to 10.10.7.19
- set expedtion network ip to 10.10.7.12, port 5012
- entered these values into KND OA expedition connection window, but didn't work 
- got confused when i sent a TEST from KND OA and it returned port 1 higher than the one i specified, (continued to go one higher when i changed the port)
- got desperate and then tried all sorts of combinations.

i also wonder which channels is should tick off in the Tx settings if there is something that is not obvious. i selected time to gun and start sb lon/lat and start port lon/lat amongst others.

any help would be great.
pics attached for the settings for the connections

Last edited by SiljeWith (3/26/2018 2:21 am)

3/26/2018 2:06 am  #2

Re: Connecting Expedition with KND onboard assistant

Hello,

​I think it was only to handle events from KND. I will ask Cyrille is they can use the events data if Exp sends it

The send channels data was just to send data to their iDataNet for their apps.

Last edited by Nick (3/26/2018 2:10 am)

3/26/2018 2:25 am  #3

Excellent if you check with Cyrille
i was finally able to share the screenshots too, if that helps...
i am not sure i will have the capacity onboard to log the crucial events in onboard assistant manually, like for example race start. too much other stuff to do at that very time....

so good to see if any events can be logged from expedition into knd OA

looking forward to hearing from you

best regards
silje

3/26/2018 5:05 am  #4

It is possible to import all Expedition events into KND - in RaceReplay.

Run race replay with your cleaned log file and once you have your track on the chart, go to Tools>Events>Load>Expedition Import.

You have to have Exported the events from Exp to file - from Events List.

:::Campbell Field::::::www.fieldyachting.com:::

3/26/2018 6:11 am  #5

excellent tip, i hadn't thought of that
do we then know how i can get hold of historical events files?
like, i want to get hold of my events files from 13th of oct 2017

AND
which events do i get?
start gun time
ping time. i lose control if i nudge the marks afterwards?
sails up time if logged by me
what else?

s

Last edited by SiljeWith (3/26/2018 6:32 am)

3/26/2018 1:54 pm  #6

SW
As a seasoned user of OA and all other parts of the KND suite, I have found OA works well for logging when you do not have too much on at the time .... but of course when you want to log things, you generally have plenty happening.  So I have gone back to waterproof notepad, and occasional use of OA during any race i.e. in batch mode.  In any case when you do a events file cleanup in RR, you will have to go through the events, so you may not save much time.
On the connectivity issue, have you copied across the DLL file?

3/26/2018 7:20 pm  #7

Cyrille is going to look at being able to get the start etc from Exp. At present it isn't possible apparently.

3/26/2018 11:49 pm  #8

this is all useful information.
it is especially the race start and the mark pings that are of interest. the rest i could manage.
thank you Duncan, for good input, and  i will continue with my pen and paper race notes too, but in the start, it is just far too much. as i do mostly shorter races, W/L and coastals, i like to take a piece of spinnaker tape on my trousers, and note on this, as such i do not have to get anything out of my pockets... pen attached to belt.. see my new nav-pack in attached facebook video by the way... will be interesting to see whether it is a good or a bad idea, but i have to try to get control on my gear.
https://www.facebook.com/withmarine/videos/1773615229336912/

I must confess i do not know what a DLL file is, so no, this has not been copied across... ;)
sorry for that
i googled dll, and understand partly, but I must also confess that if i find it, i do not understand what you suggest i should do. my IT skills are improving.. but slow.

3/28/2018 12:23 pm  #9

SW
You have to copy Exp.DLL from Expedition to OA to create a conversation between the two (my language, not Nicks).  Read the Expedition and OA Help files, it is pretty simple.  Any time you make a config change in Exp you have to copy the revised DLL across.
Cheers

3/28/2018 3:03 pm  #10

Is there no way to tell OA where Exp is? That seems like a logical thing to be able to do as the Exp dll changes regularly.

Board footera