Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/10/2018 10:32 am  #1

Editing heel polar

I have loaded a heel polar for my boat.  Works fine in the number boxes to indicate the target heel.

Now I want to edit the heel polar in Exp (sail-polars-heel).   I can go to edit mode and it will show me the graphical representation of the polar.  However I only see a few dots representing the stored tests and also these dots are plotted all near the center of the graph (so with a heel of 0-4 degrees) while I expect e.g. an upwind heel of 25 degrees.
Heel is stored in my log files ( I see the correct values being stored in the log file column for heel). When I edit my Nav or Perf polar I see many dots of all the saved tests and here editing these polars works fine.
I have selected to show all tests.

What am I doing wrong or what goes wrong when editing the heel polar?

3/10/2018 11:59 am  #2

Re: Editing heel polar

I haven't tried graphically editing the heel points, mostly because 'because I don't really know what the points would mean. At least with the bsp polar, you are measuring a performance quantity.

​I will have a look.

3/10/2018 12:18 pm  #3

Think I would like to show all tests that meet a minimum VMG% (like you do in the up and downwind editing for the normal polar) and for a minimum %polBSP (for reaching angles). 

Last edited by ZeeZee (3/10/2018 12:19 pm)

3/10/2018 5:30 pm  #4

Have just tested & it seems to draw the tests as expected here. Maybe toggle the all tests button?

3/11/2018 12:51 pm  #5

It shows some tests, but definitely not all of them (also not when I choose show all tests).
When I review my saved tests there are plenty of upwind TWA tests with heel angles >20 degrees.  However, the only few tests shown are all in the <4 degrees space. 

Also the box where you can select the VMG% is greyed out and there is no PolBSP% box.  Both of them (I believe) necessary to be able to optimize the heel polar. 

If you want I can send you my tests database and heel polar.

Board footera