Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/05/2017 6:54 am  #1

Converting Lat/Lon's in Decimal Degrees to Degrees Minutes Seconds

Looking for an "easy" way to convert Decimal Degrees in the Log Files into Degrees Minutes Seconds.  Is there a way within Expedition to change the Lat / Lons are shown in the Log Files to Degrees Minutes and Seconds, without having to do it manually with an online conversion program?  Is there a conversion unit in MS Excel to change the way this unit is displayed?  I am attempting to identify the Lat / Lon position at 36 times for a race we completed, and I would like to have the Lat / Lons displayed as Degrees Minutes and Seconds in the Log Files, but I cannot figure out how to accomplish this.  I never us Decimal Degree units for my Lat / Lon's.  Any thoughts?

11/05/2017 8:46 am  #2

Re: Converting Lat/Lon's in Decimal Degrees to Degrees Minutes Seconds

Rico,
Don't know if you can do it within the system but you can do it in Excel. so you could extend your Log File a few columns and convert the DD.ddd to DDMMSS or more simply DDMM.mmm

One pretty fancy conversion function for Excel can be found at:
https://www.fieldmuseum.org/science/blog/converting-dd-dms-excel
there are many more out there.  Once you have inserted the function into one of your excel files it would be easy to cut and paste it where you want it.
Hope this helps, if you want more in the way of instruction PM me.
Cheers,
Ernie

11/05/2017 10:14 am  #3

Re: Converting Lat/Lon's in Decimal Degrees to Degrees Minutes Seconds

Thanks for the quick and timely reply.  I think I can follow this .  I will try and post my results.

Board footera